Alert/Panic Backup depending on drive?

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
sremick

Alert/Panic Backup depending on drive?

Post by sremick »

So I'm very new to HDS. Paid for a Pro license today. I'm really liking the features.

One issue: I'm trying to set up a Panic Backup to be triggered by an alert. Drive C: is the main drive, drive G: is the backup target drive. Both drives are being monitored by HDS.

My Operation is forced run of my existing backup job (Macrium Reflect) which backs up C: -> G:. I tested that and it seems to work.
Under the "Panic Backup" tab, I have drive C: selected and then the operation selected to start automatically.

(pausing for a moment at this point: is this actually all that I need to do, before continuing into the "Alerts" section?)

Now, I go into the Alerts section. Here I can see where I can trigger a Panic Backup based upon certain events such as "Failure Expected"... but not based on failure of which drive. For example, in my situation I only want to trigger the Panic Backup if it's drive C: that's failing (so that it backs up to G:). If drive G: is failing, I might want to do something different but certainly not start another backup to the failing drive.

I have a feeling I'm missing something about the interaction of the Operations/Panic settings and the Alert settings.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Alert/Panic Backup depending on drive?

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and selecting Hard Disk Sentinel Pro.

Please select Configuration -> Operations page and there the Panic Backup tab.

There you can select on the top: "Disk: any hard disk" which means that the configured project(s) below will be started when ANY disk drive triggers the alert (eg. overheat, low health, new problem detected and saved in the log etc., according to the settings at Configuration -> Alerts page for the Panic Backup column).

There you can select any disk drive (instead of the "any hard disk").

For example, if your C: drive is on Disk #0, then you can select Disk #0 in this area.

By this, yes, as you wrote, it is possible to configure (for example)
1) one backup project to save from C: to G: when there is a problem (eg. low health) of drive #0 (contains C:)
2) one other backup project to save from G: to other drive/network etc. when there is a problem (eg. low health) of drive #1 (assuming drive #1 contains G:)
sremick

Post by sremick »

Thanks for the prompt reply.

So if I'm understanding you correctly:

Under Configuration -> Alerts, when you check the box for "Panic Backup" for a given alert, it doesn't run ALL Panic Backups but instead runs Panic Backups depending on the settings in Operations -> Panic Backup. So if I have only a single Panic Backup operation that is set for drive C:, and on the "Failure Expected" alert have the "Panic Backup" box checked, then if the G: drive is the one that triggered the alert then no operation will take place.

(I hope I made that clear enough)
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Generally you can configure any number of projects/operations.

If you check the box "Panic backup" on the Alerts page for an appropriate event (eg. overheat) then the project(s) on the Operations -> Panic Backup page will be executed.

On the Operations -> Panic Backup page you can define if the project should run regardless of which drive is the source of the event (regardless which drive triggers that) if the "any hard disk" selected.
Or you can define if the project should run only when the appropriate disk drive triggers the event (if you select the disk drive on the Operations -> Panic Backup page instead of the above mentioned "any hard disk").