Surface Test and Error 55

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Bill_C

Surface Test and Error 55

Post by Bill_C »

I am doing a Surface Test and performing a Reinitialize disk surface on an external hard drive. After about 4 minutes, it states at the bottom in red:

Error: 55 The specified network resource device is no longer available.

The blocks turn red also and are not green.

Why is this happening please?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Surface Test and Error 55

Post by hdsentinel »

Is it an USB external disk drive? This usually happens with USB drives.

Probably the USB chipset is not too error-tolerant: if the drive finds a problematic sector which need to be fixed/stabilized, it may require longer time - and the USB chipset does not respond to the system - so the device disconnected because of a timeout. In this case I'm afraid you'd need to re-connect the drive.

I suggest to please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option when the drive is connected - as then it is possible to check its status, situation, connection - and this can help to determine if there is anything to do.
Bill_C

Re: Surface Test and Error 55

Post by Bill_C »

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it is. The external hard drive enclosure is a USB connection.

I have 2 external enclosures. The first I tried is a StarTech and uses the Asmedia ASMT 2115 chipset. This failed after 4 minutes. The second enclosure is an Orico. But this uses a USB ATA interface and recognised and listed the Western Digital HD. I really thought this one would work. It lasted a lot longer during the surface scan but failed with the same 55 error.

I researched this a bit and some say to turn off screen saving and in power management to have "Turn Off" to "Never" on monitor, hard disk and standby and hibernation. This did not work. Another site said in Device Manager, Universal Serial Bus Controllers, USB Root Hub, Power Management, you un-tick "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Again, this did not work.

The easiest thing for me to do, is to remove the case on the machine that is used. Connect the dive externally to a spare SATA power cable and SATA socket on the board.

I will post on how the surface scan goes.