Estimated remaining time 100 days

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Bill_C

Estimated remaining time 100 days

Post by Bill_C »

I bought a Western Digital VelociRaptor off eBay a month ago. I put it through the Hard Disk Sentinel disk surface test and did the reinitialize disk surface. It took about 8 hours.

HDS Overview now states performance 100% and health 100%

Power on time = 3203 days
Estimated remaining time = more than 100 days

I would say this disk has been pulled from some big department server that has been running 24/7 for 9 years. No wonder he wanted to get rid of it.

The Estimated remaining time = more than 100 days. Going by past experience, how long do you think this disk will last? 200 days? 400 days?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Estimated remaining time 100 days

Post by hdsentinel »

Hard to say for sure...

Generally as the drive is long over the designed lifetime, it can fail any time: according the experiences, the chances of sudden, unforeseen failures are more common.

Ideally yes, these drives should run for many-many more years: 1, 2, 5, 10 - but this depends on lots of factors: for example how the drive used during its lifetime, did it receive proper power and cooling (see the Temperature page for highest temperature ever recorded), what is the amount of start/stop cycles, load/unload cycles (which you can verify on the S.M.A.R.T. page) and so.

The estimated remaining lifetime is not a strict countdown: if the Health % will not change, then the "more than 100 days" will remain displayed (even for years) to indicate that we can't say a failure date FOR SURE - but in a mission critical environment, probably a planned replacement would be better. For non-critical use (and with proper backup) it can be perfect.

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, it is possible to check its status - and this may give some ideas, thoughts.
Bill_C

Post by Bill_C »

Thank you for your info on this.

It is not looking too bad. The maximum temperature during entire lifespan was 45 degrees Celsius. The Start/Stop count Threshold = 0. Value = 0. Worst = 100. Status = OK (always passing).

I have just sent you the report.

Thanks,

Bill
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Hi Bill,

Thanks!
The numbers you sent are not really important: the important is the "Data" field (marked with bold on the S.M.A.R.T. page) as it shows the real number of cycles.
I checked the report and see only 44 start/stop cycles, excellent. The maximum temperature is excellent too.