Event Viewer warning

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
cholla

Event Viewer warning

Post by cholla »

@ hdsentinel,
I have had this software for many years.
I have a lifetime Hard Disk Sentinel Professional v6.01 .
I did some testing for you with an old Windows 98 SE that you were not sure it would work.
It did.

Now for the problem:
I'm using Windows 7 32.bit
Event viewer warning Event ID 866
This is the warning message:
Access to C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\Hard Disk Sentinel\hds_control_remove.vbs has been restricted by your Administrator by location with policy rule {b8ef7a6f-1916-45b5-ad08-6cf83al2d35e} placed on path C:\Users\user\AppData\Roaming\*\*.vbs.

I have tried the Security on the folder & file as Administrator & User accounts with full control.
This only started when I set HD Sentinel to "Load with Windows".

I wanted to monitor the HDD temperatures from the start.
This is because my CPU temperatures were running high.
So I decided to monitor both.
I found the problem for the overheating but decided to leave HD Sentinal tray temps on.

My question is : What setting do I make to give HD Sentinel the correct permissions to access hds_control_remove.vbs ?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Event Viewer warning

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message. Sorry for the possible troubles, but not really sure if it's related to Hard Disk Sentinel at all: I double checked on different Windows 7 systems but never see any similar events in Windows Event log.
Not sure, but probably some third party application (maybe your antivirus or similar?) set a very strict policy which prevents launching from VBS files from certain folders.
I see no reason for that - as it is a common practice to perform different actions (for example interact with the Windows Scheduler now).

This forum can help about how to remove this software restriction policy:
https://www.windowsbbs.com/threads/soft ... icy.97419/
(scroll down to REGEDIT section)

Anyway, you may try to open Configuration -> Preferences and disable the "Load with Windows" option in Hard Disk Sentinel to prevent using these VBS files to interact with the Windows Scheduler and then manually create a scheduled task into Windows Scheduler which will launch Hard Disk Sentinel - so then it will be launched but without the VBS files.
Please check

https://www.hdsentinel.com/forum/viewto ... 289#p14864

Please scroll down to "How to fix Hard Disk Sentinel startup problem, how to manually create an entry to start it automatically with Windows" section.
cholla

Re: Event Viewer warning

Post by cholla »

The problem was caused by my anti ransomeware software CryptoPrevent.

I found this from your suggestion & link:
https://www.windowsbbs.com/threads/soft ... icy.97419/
In that topic I found this:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Safer\CodeIdentifiers\0\Paths
It had many entries for CryptoPrevent.
I didn't find the one specific to HDS.
So I checked the CryptoPrevent GUI.
I added hds_control_remove.vbs to the white list.
This solved the Event Viewer warning.

So all is working correctly now.

I did not try the Windows Scheduler method because I did not need to.