impossible scan

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
mc guill

impossible scan

Post by mc guill »

Hello,
I'm sorry but I not speak english.

I can not perform a test on Windows Vista. Here is the error message :

http://www.cjoint.com/c/FFDjVdQ4yNT

Can you help me solve this problem?

Thank you
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: impossible scan

Post by hdsentinel »

This is displayed if the disk controller (where the hard disk connection) does not support the corresponding function.
The test may be supported by the hard disk and Hard Disk Sentinel send the correct command - but the command is blocked by the disk controller (more precisely its driver).

This is not rare, especially with some chipsets / controllers, for example NVidia NForce, VIA, SIS and some other chipsets too.

This is described in the (English) help: (Hard disk tests -> General information section):

"In some cases, these hardware tests (Disk -> Short self test, Disk -> Extended self test) are not available, not supported or they result in an error quickly even in relatively low number of problems. No further information is returned about the result, for example it is not possible to list the sector(s) which are damaged. In such case, an appropriate software testing method is required."

So you may try Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test instead.

Also if you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, I can check the actual disk controller, driver and can help to improve, how to replace the driver, for example by a better version for your configuration from the Driver Zone page ( www.hdsentinel.com/driverzone.php ) or by replacing the current driver in Windows device manager by a generic driver (Standard dual channel controller driver or Standard AHCI controller driver) which would not block the test command.