Not compatible with my Windows 10

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
rocks911

Not compatible with my Windows 10

Post by rocks911 »

I have had HDS for years and it has saved me on two occasions. I was so thankful I had the program and it brings me great peace of mind.
I had an older version running on my Windows 7 64 bit PC and I decided to update my OS to Windows 10. After the install I frequently got the BSOD.

After much research I deleted potentially conflicting antivirus programs. The BSOD's continued. HDS kept sticking at startup, which is to say that it was always the last app to start, a couple minutes after everything had started. I though the behavior was odd, so I thought it might be the incompatible program causing the BSOD's so I uninstalled it. I had no more BSOD's. I then reinstalled my antivirus programs without any issues. I waited a couple days to see if anything came up. It didnt.

I then installed the latest version of Hard Disk Sentinel before I went to bed. I awoke to a BSOD screen. I have uninstalled HDS.

I know this is not empirical data, just anecdotal, but it seems accurate to say that HDS was causing my BSOD'd. I wish it werent so as I love HDS.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Not compatible with my Windows 10

Post by hdsentinel »

Excuse me for the troubles after the Windows 10 upgrade.

May I ask which version of Hard Disk Sentinel did you try?
If its older than 4.71, I'd recommend to try 4.71 - as it has many generic changes / improvements for Windows 10.

If you experience the same with 4.71, I'd suggest to try this update:

http://www.hdsentinel.com/beta4/hdsenti ... -ekkop.zip

which has also some generic improvements - not really related to Windows 10 but more related to many devices like disk controllers and their drivers.

I say this because sometimes issues not really related to Hard Disk Sentinel or Windows 10 at all, but more related to devices (more precisely their drivers). Similar happened when any new Windows OS released: the drivers automatically installed by the OS for some devices (for example motherboard chipset, disk controller and so) may be not the best one and require change/update.
Similar happened with some motherboards when Vista, Win7, Win8 released - so considering these, yes, it may happen with Windows 10 too in some rare situations.

Did you have the opportunity to catch / capture the BSOD screen?
It would be essential to know what was the problem. The BSOD screen may mention a driver file and/or a specific error which can help to investigate the situation, verify which device (driver) may require attention and how it is possible to avoid that.

So if possible, please try
- the latest 4.71.11 version from the above link
- if you experience similar, try to capture the BSOD screen (at least with a photo with your mobile, just make sure to be readable)

Excuse me for the troubles, I hope it is possible to find the solution quickly.
rocks911

Post by rocks911 »

I have tried 4.71 and the update, both gave me BSOD's

Im sorry but there is just no question that its HDM causing this PC to BSOD. Without it installed there are no issues.

When I had so many problems upgrading to W10 I uninstalled several apps including Panda, Malwarebytes and Hard Disk Sentinel, among others.

After the PC stabilized I reinstalled Panda and Malwarebytes and waited two days. I didnt experience any problems in those two days, no BSOD's so I then installed Hard Disk Sentinel today. I started getting BSOD's after installing Hard Disk Sentinel. The mini dump logs indicated issues with Panda and malwarebytes. However when I uninstall HDS and leave both Panda and Malwarebytes I dont get BSOD's.

Its curious that the installation of HDS caused a BSOD where Panda and Malwarebytes was the problem. I think because HDS works directly with the hard drives on the computer most anything can happen, including anitvirus programs going haywire.

I uninstalled HDS and have had no problems since. Just a shame, I love the app.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Excuse me for the troubles.

Yes, I see: when Hard Disk Sentinel attempted the detection of disk status, one of your device drivers may crash and this resulted the BSOD.
I'm really sorry about it.

If you can tell any further details, capture the BSOD screen, it would show which driver file is the problematic one and I suspect after installing a new/updated version, everything should be fine.
This may be related to the motherboard chipset driver - or a driver of your other disk controller (eg. add-on card) you may use.

I'd be more than happy to help and assist to improve the situation in all possible ways, so if you have any information, details about what Windows showed on the BSOD screen, I suspect we can find the solution easily.