HDS crashes without a trace

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.

HDS crashes without a trace

Postby Boulder » 2018.04.26. 14:48

My computer is turned on 24/7. Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 in January this year, I've had the issue where HDS occasionally crashes by itself without Windows actually noticing anything. The tray icon is there but when I hover the mouse pointer over it, it disappears. This happens maybe once a week or a bit less frequently so it's definitely not a daily issue. I've tried checking all the Windows logs but there is no trace whatsoever. It occurs in v5.20 and also the earlier betas.

Is there some debug build that I could use to catch the problem for you to fix?
Boulder

Re: HDS crashes without a trace

Postby hdsentinel » 2018.04.27. 14:30

Sounds interesting.
Generally when the tray icons there, it means Hard Disk Sentinel could not close itself correctly, like if somehow terminated (like if something may forced it to close).
To investigate, would be required to "connect" this event to something which may happen with the system.
If running 24/7, then power management (entering/leaving standby, hibernation or similar) should never occur, so there may be something else.
Please try to observe when this may happen actually, for example after connection/removal of a drive (removable device) or something similar, just to verify if something is related.

Please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option. Also if you see LOG.TXT file in the folder of Hard Disk Sentinel, please send in e-mail to info (at) hdsentinel (dot) com
These may help to check the actual situation, examine the configuration and may give ideas, thoughts - at least to try for further investigation.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Postby hdsentinel » 2019.02.20. 15:06

As in the meantime some other users reported similar, did lots of testing, attempting to find what is exactly closing the software, as there were no crash, errors or similar.

Anyway, just added extra protection in the latest 5.30.8 version, so if Hard Disk Sentinel runs for longer time and somehow closed/terminated incorrectly, then it restarted by the "watchdog".

I'd recommend to try the latest 5.30.8 version, hopefully there will be no such / similar issues happen.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Postby Boulder » 2019.02.20. 19:03

Thank you, I just updated to the latest beta. It's a useful feature for me as my external HDDs spin down quite fast without HDS keeping them running all the time.
Boulder

Return to Bug Reports