HGST 4TB 3.5" Drives Spin Up Time Incorrect

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
Muad'Dib

HGST 4TB 3.5" Drives Spin Up Time Incorrect

Post by Muad'Dib »

I have two HGST 4TB 3.5"drives that HD Sentinel reports having a Spin Up time (#3) values over 20,000,000 (data field)! Both drives are working fine. The UltraStar I've been using for more than 2 years without problems (and definitely no noticeable lag time to access the drive), the HGST NAS drive has only been in use for less than a month, but when I saw similar values for the same parameter on this drive as well, I realized that HD Sentinel is probably interpreting the data incorrectly. My 1 TB HGST 2.5" drives do not display this problem, nor do my WD 750 GB 2.5" or WD 500 GB 3.5".

Let me know if you need any other information to help troubleshoot/fix this issue.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: HGST 4TB 3.5" Drives Spin Up Time Incorrect

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message.

No, I can confirm that HD Sentinel does NOT report incorrectly: it does what it should: calculate and display the value as reported by DRIVE itself.

As you may know, those 6 bytes (the Data field in Hard Disk Sentinel) may be used differently by hard disk manufacturers. Even different models (of the same manufacturer) may report any kind of numbers there - and yes, it is our decision about how to display, interpret the values. Sometimes these split to parts and different parts reflect different kind of information. Hard Disk Sentinel uses the best possible interpretation.

Yes, in some cases, it is possible that bytes (usually showing 00 values) may contain some kind of different numbers which are not expected (as the manufacturer may not use previously) and this can cause confusion. Then you can any time select to interpret the values differently: on the bottom right, next to the S.M.A.R.T. graph, you can select (for example) to "Display data field (LOW word)" (or an other option) which then would change how the attribute interpreted and displayed.

As always, of course if you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, it would help to check this particular situation, examine the attribute and its provided value as it may help to adjust how it may be interpreted/displayed better.

Thanks for increasing attention to an attribute which works differently than expected (than on other models of the manufacturer).