HDS 5.61 PRO: low memory issues

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
willytenner

HDS 5.61 PRO: low memory issues

Post by willytenner »

Hello!

I just found a problem. HDS reports that it can no longer do certain things because there is too little memory. The problem can be forced as follows:
  1. Configuration|Alerts|Select Sound File: Select a WAV file that is, for example, at least 2,753KB in size (example "Alarm Alert Effect" from http://soundbible.com/tags-alert.html) Test whether the file is playable. In some cases, this process also no longer works because there is too little memory. If the sound is audible, continue with step 2.
  2. Configuration|e-mail configuration: Enter all data for SMTP and then...Mail Test. At the latest now the error message should appear that there is too little memory. Go to three.
  3. Select a small sound file, e.g. the original signal file HDnotify.wav Now the mail test works.
I think HDS has a memory problem and the WAV files are obviously loaded completely, so that with large WAV files there is no room left for other functions.

Note: Although MP3 files can be selected, my HDS cannot play them. Is that right?

Kind regards,
Willy
Hard Disk Sentinel 5.61 PRO
Edition: Windows 10 Pro x64, Version: 1909, OS build 18363.836
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz, Memory: 32 GB
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: HDS 5.61 PRO: low memory issues

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your attention and sorry for the possible troubles.

Generally yes, the sound alert should be a relatively small, short file so yes, a larger file (several MB) can cause troubles.
If possible, I'd recommend to "cut" the file and/or use a smaller, shorter file if possible.

I'm downloading and checking the file you mentioned, will try to reproduce the issue and check the possibilities.

Generally MP3 files should work, HDS installs an MP3 file too (not sure if you may tried that just to verify).
But depending on the MP3 encoder and possible other information added to the MP3 file (eg. ID tag or additional data) may prevent playing it correctly.