Error in Event Log - Is HD Sentinel Working Properly?

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
stifferd

Error in Event Log - Is HD Sentinel Working Properly?

Post by stifferd »

Hi There,

I have set Hard Disk Sentinel to run as a service. I do not login as admin to my workstation, so letting it run in the background as a service is what I prefer.
Unfortunately, I am getting the following error in Event Viewer:

Faulting application name: storectrl.dll, version: 5.53.0.0, time stamp: 0x53269bc6
Faulting module name: storelibir-3.dll, version: 2.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x51fc24c1
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0004be82
Faulting process id: 0x4118
Faulting application start time: 0x01d661f999f8df72
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Sentinel\lsi2\storectrl.dll
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Sentinel\lsi2\storelibir-3.dll
Report Id: d0467f67-f012-45be-84c9-474d22c12620
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

I have tried 3 different versions of my SAS controller drivers, so I do not believe this to be an issue with that (Avago SAS3 Cutlass StorPort 4i)
I am running Windows 10 for Workstations, build 2004.

I am very concerned that I will not be getting automated emails about failures, and that the program is not monitoring.

Stefan
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Error in Event Log - Is HD Sentinel Working Properly?

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, I can confirm that Hard Disk Sentinel is working properly.

There is an external module which communicates with the controller, attempt to scan all connected drives and their status and the main application/service is working with the detected details.

Not sure why the external module is causing this event, would be nice to investigate. Maybe a SAS expander/backplane does not "like" the detection, previously I encountered similar many years ago when an update could be made specifically for that device, triggering the event for absolutely no reason.

I'd suggest to
- make sure to use the latest possible Hard Disk Sentinel version as updated versions usually have improved compatibility
- yes, it is good idea to try updated driver (if possible) for the SAS controller, as you wrote, you already tried this
- select Configuration -> Send test report page, where it is possible to manually create and save a developer test report and send to info@hdsentinel.com address in application mode. This way I can check the "raw" response of the RAID controller, verify possible issue(s) and can check what can be improved in this particular case.
(you may send such report by Report menu -> Send test report to developer option too, but in case the system has high number of drives, it is better to manually save and send from the Configuration menu).

Generally you can verify if Hard Disk Sentinel service is working correctly by many ways:

For example, you can enable to send daily status e-mail (Configuration -> Alerts page) and specify to automatically send status e-mails once per day.
So you can confirm both that the software is working and the status mail arrives.

Alternatively, you may enable WebStatus function (Configuration -> Integration) to check the status from a web browser.

And/or enable XML/WMI output at Configuration -> Advanced options page and check the values by different scripts as described on the pages under https://www.hdsentinel.com/knowledgebase.php