The program is posting an improper error.

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
LawrenceLeeJ

The program is posting an improper error.

Post by LawrenceLeeJ »

I'm using hard disk Sentinel on my personal computer which has a combination of SSD's and hard drives. My hard drives are configured as a Raid one array using a built in control are managed by the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Manager. After a series of reboots triggered by the failure of a video card, the Intel software detected some sort of desynchronization between my 2 hard drives and began the process of rebuilding to correct whatever potential write errors took place.

The Hard Disk Sentinel the taskbar temperature icon began flashing red. When I opened the application page the drive health of the hard drive in question was marked zero . The detected error the software reported was "Failure Predicted!!! Attribute: Wear Leveling Count".

Since this drive is a hard drive and not an SD something is wrong. So I rebooted my computer and when Hard Disk Sentinel resumed the drive health was back to 100%. In the disk log there were reported a number of events:

Reported Uncorrectable Errors 0 -> 1489
Current Pending Sector Count 0 -> 59185
Reallocation Event Count 0 -> 305
Reallocated Sectors Count 0 -> 146

These may be genuine and may be the reason the Intel software triggered a rebuild. Or perhaps these were incorrectly detected while the rebuild process began. I cannot determine this. However the software still reported the wrong class of error. The alert tab still reported the message "Failure Predicted!!! Attribute: Wear Leveling Count", which makes no sense since this is a hard disk drive.

I built a test report log and sent it to you. What other information do you need so that you can make a diagnosis of this potential bug.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: The program is posting an improper error.

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and thanks for the developer report you sent.

I checked and as I see now everything is working correctly: both the hard disks and the SSD are completely, correctly detected and their health and self-monitoring status reported now.

Yes, I'm afraid you saw an issue caused by the Intel RAID controller (more precisely its driver). When something goes wrong (for example one of the hard disks from the RAID mirror is not available for a moment and results a synch error) the driver may provide
- no access to the disk drive(s) completely
- an incorrect status information which may be misleading and could cause that errors reported with a particular disk drive

Hard Disk Sentinel generally has filters against such incorrect information/details, but in some rare cases yes, an alert could be generated and you may notice increasing "error" counters.
Personally I'd not say it's a bug (at least not in Hard Disk Sentinel) but in addition to monitoring the health/status at least this may increase attention to a possible issue with the storage system which may remain unnoticed otherwise.

Yes, I agree that the alert may be annoying - but this could also confirm what happened. Please note that there is a button on the Alerts page which can be used to clear the alert from that - as then you can focus on possible new issues (if there will be).

Maybe if you somehow encounter similar, please try to use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option at the time when the failure/alert reported (and you see the low health). This way it is possible to check/examine the "raw" details provided by the RAID controller and examine the situation. This would help both to check how to avoid displaying the "errors" reported by the controller and may give ideas about what happened in general and what you can do to avoid in the future.