Duplicate results for same drive

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
sebbiep

Duplicate results for same drive

Post by sebbiep »

I've just got one small issue. HDS is showing duplicate drives for the following controller:

InnoStor IS621 USB 3.0 to SATA Storage Controller

I'm getting two identical drive listings - one showing the USB enclosure serial number and one showing the actual SSD serial number. It's not a huge issue - I could just ignore the two extra listings. But it would be nice to keep things tidy.
Also for troubleshooting I often cross reference the HDS drive data to PowerShell, event logs and other sources. The easiest cross-reference key is the device-id, which on my system used to be the same in HDS and Windows Disk Management. Now with the two duplicate drives, the HDS device-id for drives higher than the duplicates is out of sync with Windows by 2.

This is what Windows sees (the serialnumber is the from the USB dock):

Code: Select all

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Get-PhysicalDisk -manufacturer "WD" | Sort-Object friendlyname  | Select-Object Deviceid, FriendlyName, serialnumber, uniqueid, objectid | FT -AutoSize

Deviceid FriendlyName serialnumber uniqueid                               objectid
-------- ------------ ------------ --------                               --------
24       DOCK-1       20200711     {8c64e65d-3b74-06af-590a-ce1b56429608} {1}\\T3600\root/Microsoft/Windows/Storage/Providers_v2\SPACES_PhysicalDisk.ObjectId="{32b99cca-1831-11e9-8134-806e6f6e6963}:PD:{8c64e65d-3b74-06af-590a-ce1b56429608}"
27       DOCK-2       20200713     {3772cd9a-9717-975b-991c-3198ccb9b58e} {1}\\T3600\root/Microsoft/Windows/Storage/Providers_v2\SPACES_PhysicalDisk.ObjectId="{32b99cca-1831-11e9-8134-806e6f6e6963}:PD:{3772cd9a-9717-975b-991c-3198ccb9b58e}"
These are the same 2 drives that HDS is finding (1st entry uses USB Dock serial number, the 2nd duplicate one uses the actual SSD serial number):

Code: Select all

#24: NONE - USB/ATA T: 199 ms / IDR1 IDR2  Time:  ATAIDR1:77 ATAIDR2:53 USB/ATA:68 /   INQUIRY: 0 ms  ATAID1: 0 ms D10  ATAID2: 0 ms  SMA2: 0 ms  SMT2: 16 ms  SMV2: 15 ms
#25: NONE - USB/ATAsat2 T: 32 ms / Time:  USB/ATAsat2:32 /   INQUIRY: 0 ms  SMV9: 16 ms
#28: NONE - USB/ATA T: 234 ms / IDR1 IDR2  Time:  ATAIDR1:79 ATAIDR2:54 USB/ATA:100 /   INQUIRY: 0 ms  ATAID1: 0 ms D10  ATAID2: 0 ms  SMA2: 0 ms  SMT2: 46 ms  SMV2: 16 ms
#29: NONE - USB/ATAsat2 T: 46 ms / Time:  USB/ATAsat2:46 /   INQUIRY: 0 ms  SMV9: 30 ms
Disk 24 matches. HDS disk 28 is actually Disk 27 in Windows. Disks 25 & 29 are duplicates. And then all 90 disks from Disk 28 to Disk 117 all have a HDS deviceid out by 2.

P.S. Thanks for a great product. I use Hard Disk Sentinel Pro to help manage 80 DAS disks connected to my home desktop, plus 36 NAS drives. Just like the famous Heineken adverts - HDS enumerates the drives on controllers that other disk utilities cannot reach! It is very convenient to monitor and report on all 116 drives with HDS in one consistent view, without having to use multiple disk utilities or - even worse - having to temporarily remove drives from a RAID enclosure just to check the SMART data. Obviously a lot of very detailed work has gone (and still is going) into producing Hard Disk Sentinel - thanks again.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Duplicate results for same drive

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and attention.

Sounds so interesting. Personally I use many devices with InnoStor IS621 and never encountered similar.
Maybe your device works slightly differently, probably due to different firmware version.

To investigate the situation and examine the "raw" response of this chip, please completely close Hard Disk Sentinel by File -> Exit first and then

1) Please open an elevated command prompt: click on the Windows search field, type CMD.EXE and on the result, right click and select "Run as administrator".

2) Then navigate to the folder of the software by entering

CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Sentinel"

and then enter

HDSentinel.exe /ENABLETEST /REPORT

This should create a
- testmode.txt
- HDSentinel_5.61 Pro_report.txt
into the folder of Hard Disk Sentinel.

Please send these files together to info (at) hdsentinel (dot) com as then it is possible to inspect what is the actual "raw" response when the detection starts. It may give some thoughts about how your chip works, how different than the ones tested and what can be done to avoid the duplicated drive.

In this situation, the duplicated drive present because it seems the chip responds for a detection which checks for a possible 2nd disk drive - and it provides that "phantom" drive with different serial number. This causes that the two disks seem forming a 2x disk RAID array and this is why the following disk numbers are adjusted, as you can see.
Generally Hard Disk Sentinel follows the disk numbers of Windows Disk Management (exactly to allow easier identification) but when the detection of a single drive provides two (or more) physical disks (like now) then these all displayed next to each other and the following disk indexes are adjusted, as you can see.

So from the testmode file and the raw developer-report it is possible to examine the situation and make a required change quickly for your device.

Thanks so much for your kind words, yes, sometimes not easy but the main goal is exactly to allow us to check/diagnose/monitor all kind of hard disks, SSDs and storage drives, without the need of different tool for each devices - which would be not too practical (or even possible), especially on high number of disk drives ;)