HDS crashes, when connect a 2.+same type USB3.0-Portable-HD

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
Somebody

HDS crashes, when connect a 2.+same type USB3.0-Portable-HD

Post by Somebody »

Hallo, Hello,

HDS-561-Beta-16 und HDS-570-Final stürzen ab, wenn ich eine zweite - gleiche - USB3.0-portable-Drive-HD anschließe.

Die vorherige Version (HDS-561-Final) hat das Problem nicht, läuft zwar spürbar langsamer, aber stürzt nicht ab.

Bitte um Prüfung (siehe Screenshots) und Korrektur.

on english:

HDS-561-Beta-16 und HDS-570-Final crashes when I connect a second USB3.0-portable-Drive-HD of the same type.

The previous version does not have the problem, runs noticeably slower, but does not crash.

Please check (see screenshots) and correct.

Danke / Thanks
Viele Grüße / Best regards
Somebody
Attachments
Attachment.zip
8 Screens from HDS and crashes.
(1.71 MiB) Downloaded 334 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: HDS crashes, when connect a 2.+same type USB3.0-Portable

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and sorry for the possible troubles.
Sounds so interesting. Generally all disk drives are detected independently from each other, so connecting the 2nd such drive should cause no troubles (the 2nd drive does not influence the previous detected in any ways).

What do you exactly see when you connect the 2nd drive? Do you immediately see a "crash" window?
Or "just" you see Hard Disk Sentinel is not responding and you see the "crash" window when you manually try to close the software?
Generally it can be normal and expected that Hard Disk Sentinel needs to wait for the disk drive(s) to respond for the detection. If an external hard disk drive may respond slower (or may not able to properly spin up, eg. because of insufficient power on USB line) then Hard Disk Sentinel may need to wait for longer time and during that, it may seem "not responding" and a close attempt can cause similar "crash".

Not sure which previous version you refer? I can confirm that generally the handling of these external hard disk drives not changed in recent versions (eg. from 5.61 to 5.70). More interesting that I found several situations where two (or even more) similar disk drives connected at the same time, without problems.

Thanks for the images, but I'm afraid from them, I do not see anything useful, so they can't help to investigate the situation and make any possible changes.

Would be nice to examine the situation, to check what can be in the background - and what can be done to improve the situation.

Please do the following (100% safe method of course):

1) close Hard Disk Sentinel completely by File -> Exit (if running). Connect both mentioned/affected hard disk drives and make sure they can be read/written (so generally working)

2) Please open an elevated command prompt: click on the Windows search field, type CMD.EXE and on the result, right click and select "Run as administrator".

3) Then navigate to the folder of the software by entering

CD "C:\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Sentinel"

and then enter

HDSentinel.exe /ENABLETEST /REPORT

This should create a
- testmode.txt
- HDSentinel_5.70 Pro_report.txt
into the folder of Hard Disk Sentinel.

Please send these files together to info (at) hdsentinel (dot) com as then I can check the actual "raw" response when Hard Disk Sentinel is accessing the disk drives. These will give some thoughts about what happens during the status detection of the disk drives - and what can be done.

You can repeat the above with older version(s) where you see different behavior as then it is possble to compare the results too.