Existing HDD's suddenly disappeared from Sentinel

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
Sizif

Existing HDD's suddenly disappeared from Sentinel

Post by Sizif »

Strange problem - my computer has 7 HDD's and all were shown properly in Sentinel up to few days ago.

Suddenly, two are missing from Sentinel, but the system sees them and they work properly.

In order to better understand what is happening, here is the screenshot with all the relevant info. (sorry if it's too wide)

http://cookie.milovanovic.com/sentinel.png

red box #1 shows all the disks that Sentinel sees at this point

I am not sure what disk is No.3 in that box (showing as Not supported)
Also, left of that box you can see on the list that Sentinel got messed up, showing that Disk 4 and Disk 5 contain drive S: which is incorrect.

In the middle, red Box #2, you see the correct Intel RST info, three arrays (0000, 0001, 0002). Those two missing disks in Sentinel are Array 0002, two Samsungs 850 EVO 1TB that are in RAID 1 and they contain logical disk S:

On the right in red box #3 you can see the correct Disk configuration from Management. What is Sentinel missing is Disk 3.

The problem is that all this was working fine in Sentinel, and suddenly both Samsungs 850 dissapeared after reporting that one of them fell to 30% health, the other one was at 100%. None of those two disks is visible anymore, but they are working fine.

Now I am in doubt should I replace the one that was shown as failing or not.
Last edited by Sizif on 2021.02.17. 15:04, edited 1 time in total.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Existing HDD's suddenly disappeared from Sentinel

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message.

Sorry to say, but there may be not a bug - at least not in Hard Disk Sentinel.

With Intel RST, it is possible that the RAID controller may not provide access to disks (especially if they're failing: as you wrote, one of the drive has already a low health). In this case, yes, when Hard Disk Sentinel attempts to detect the current configuration (the arrays, logical and physical disk drives) the controller may provide incomplete response. As a result, it is possible that the disk(s) of the affected array may be missing and the logical drive is displayed for a different array.

Please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option now, as it is possible to check the actual situation, verify the "raw" response of the controller during detection. This can always help to check what can be wrong - and what can be done to improve the situation.
Sizif

Post by Sizif »

I've sent a report. Now, I believe we have to replace that HDD as soon as possible. (however, Intel RST reports no problem, which is quite confusing? Whom to trust? :) )

Thank you very much for your quick response, it's much appreciated. If you find something interesting in the report, please comment.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the report, I sent answer to it immediately when received. Not sure if you received that....
Probably the updated version can help.