Smart Status Raw Read Error Rate SPD_1

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
Universal Styles

Smart Status Raw Read Error Rate SPD_1

Post by Universal Styles »

Hello,

could somebody explain why the status is randomly jumping from OK to Status SPD_1 and back?
What does this status even mean?

It only appears on the Smart Raw Read Error Rate.
Noticed this on 2 different Seagate 2.5 drives.

Version 5.30 Pro is used.

Please see the attached pic (drive is brand new)

Thanks in advance for clarifying.
Attachments
Status SPD_1
Status SPD_1
Status SPD_1.JPG (42.11 KiB) Viewed 2481 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Smart Status Raw Read Error Rate SPD_1

Post by hdsentinel »

I can confirm that this can happen when the disk controller/chipset (or its driver) may not work 100% perfectly and sometimes provides incorrect status information.

This does not mean any failure/problem with the hard disk drive itsef (or generally with this specific attribute), Hard Disk Sentinel just makes this "flag" to allow the investigation of such/similar situations easier.

This is usually a sign of a minor incompatibility between the disk drive and the disk controller/driver: can happen in general when a new (usually large capacity) hard disk drive connected to an older system. Alternatively, it may happen also when an older Hard Disk Sentinel version used with a very new system with latest updates, as some newer chipset drivers are "tricky" and may confuse older Hard Disk Sentinel versions.

I recommend to use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option in Hard Disk Sentinel, ideally multiple times
- once when you see SPD_1
- once when things are "normal"
as then it is possble to examine/compare them specifically and this can give thoughts about what is the sure cause and what can be done (for example update to a specific chipset driver).

Also I'd try to update to latest 5.70 version by the automatic update from File menu - as it is possible that there will be no such/similar.

But generally this does not cause troubles and (most important) absolutely does not indicate errors/problems with the hard disk drive itself.