Spin-down prevention does not work after reboot

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
hdnoob

Spin-down prevention does not work after reboot

Post by hdnoob »

I have a USB enclosure which periodically drops off and setting the "Do not allow spin down" setting works well, i.e.:
2022-04-15_12-29-46.png
2022-04-15_12-29-46.png (46.53 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
The disk in the enclosur stays active, and the USB enclosure reports activity every 2-3 seconds even when idle, which might indicate that HD Sentinel is polling it for it to stay active.

I have also enabled autostart of HD Sentinel, i.e.:
2022-04-15_12-29-53.png
2022-04-15_12-29-53.png (38.93 KiB) Viewed 2185 times
However, when I reboot the computer, the spin-down prevention function does not work, i.e. after a while after reboot, there is no longer activity on the enclosure every 2-3 seconds, and the enclosure drops off after a while.

If I manually start the HD Sentinel UI, and reconnect the USB enclosure it works again.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Spin-down prevention does not work after reboot

Post by hdsentinel »

Sounds so interesting, but I do not really think there is a bug here.

Generally there is no reason why the spin-down prevention would not work after reboot (assuming that the hard disk drive is detected at the same drive number by the system after reboot): when Hard Disk Sentinel starts and periodically monitors the disk status, it should perform the spin-down prevention of course.

> If I manually start the HD Sentinel UI, and reconnect the USB enclosure it works again.

What happens BEFORE you start manually Hard Disk Sentinel?
Do you see it automatically started when you log in to the system (with the same user who installed it), eg. do you see its main window and/or the tray icon(s) related to the disk drives?

If this is not true, then Hard Disk Sentinel may not launched automatically, which can be an issue with Windows Scheduler.

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, it can give some ideas, thoughts....