TRIM not supported - what Driver to install

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
TerraD

TRIM not supported - what Driver to install

Post by TerraD »

Hi

I updated an old notebook from a conventional disk to a Samsung SSD 850 Pro 512GB.

HDSentinel (v5.20) now states that the SSD supports TRIM, but it is deactivated. 'fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify' reports 0, so I think my Win7 supports TRIM.

My Device Manager reports a 'Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller' (version 8.9.2.1002) that 'Provides details about all hard disks' according to https://www.hdsentinel.com/compatibilit ... ollers.php . Is TRIM such a detail?

I read several threads at the HDSentinel-Forum but can not decide what would be correct: should I search for a
- newer version of the above driver
or do I need to switch to
- Intel ICH7/ICH8/ICH9/ICH10/3400 RAID mode
or
- Intel ICH8/ICH9/ICH10/Z68/C216 RAID mode

If it is one of the RAID-drivers which one would be the correct one?

The disk is already populated with data, so I don't want to experiment with a wrong driver... Thank you for suggestions.

I tried to attach my Disk report but .TXT and .HML are not allowed....
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: TRIM not supported - what Driver to install

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, I can confirm that version 8.9.2.1002 is very old, it does not yet support TRIM.
So even if TRIM is supported by the SSD and Windows uses that command (which may be confirmed by fsutil), the TRIM command actually does not "arrive" to the SSD.

Generally the Support -> Driver Zone ( https://www.hdsentinel.com/driverzone.php ) page shows recommended drivers for different controllers.
For this controller, personally I recommend using version 10.5
There are older / newer versions, but generally this version was one of the bests for such chipset and controller, which can be downloaded directly from https://www.hdsentinel.com/driver/stor_ ... 026_pc.zip

The "RAID mode" just suggests that by using such drivers, disk status monitoring is possible even when RAID mode is used/configured.
Installing that driver does not cause change in the disk drive configuration (does not "need" to have RAID configuration) and is safe for stored data.

Alternatively, you may attempt to get the latest driver from Intel (or the manufacturer of the laptop).

Or, you can try to change the current driver to Windows "Standard AHCI Compatible Controller" driver (or similar) as then TRIM will likely work. Then there is no need to download/install any other driver, this is included in Windows.

For this, please try:

1) right click on Computer, select Properties -> Device Manager
2) locate "Intel(R) ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" device.
It is located in the IDE/ATA controllers or Storage controllers section.
3) Right click on this device, select Update driver software and
select "Browse my computer for driver software"
4) Select the "Standard AHCI Compatible controller"
Do not attempt to "search for updated drivers online" as this function usually never works.

Hopefully after changing to the Standard AHCI Compatible controller driver (and restart) TRIM function will work.

This procedure (just for a different controller) described at: www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#trim
TerraD

Re: TRIM not supported - what Driver to install

Post by TerraD »

Thank you for this in depth answer. I decided to install the recommended Intel 10.5.0.1026 driver. All worked smooth!

Beside the problems lined out in the my original post I was not able to deduct from www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#trim , that the procedure described for the Marvell 91xx controller was valid for my controller as well...

By the way: on this notebook the name of the Standard controller would have been: 'Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller' and not 'Standard AHCI Controller'

Thank you again for your support!