How to configure to make a backup (save to VARIOUS partiti

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
Nero

How to configure to make a backup (save to VARIOUS partiti

Post by Nero »

Panic Backup

How to configure to make a backup (save to different/various partitions). So use all free space on different partitions.
For example, I want to recover 1TB (1000GB) of data.
And how to smaller parts, so that it can be save on different partitions simultaneously.
I reserve that it CAN NOT be 1 backup file (why? It's a long story)
I want it to save in a normal way, files, folders, just like in the explorator.

Free Space:
C:\ 100GB
D:\ 500GB
E:\ 36GB
F:\ 87GB
G:\ 270GB
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: How to configure to make a backup (save to VARIOUS parti

Post by hdsentinel »

"Recover" is completely different than "Backup".
Recover means that we may need to restore from a bad, not working (unreadable) state. In this case, there is good chance that some data will be lost, damaged. This is generally what we want to avoid by Backup - which means saving the (surely) perfect data - to prevent data loss/corruption.

Generally in Hard Disk Sentinel Pro, you can define backup projects and configure how they should be executed:
- scheduled
- manually
- upon problem with any of the physical disks (called "Panic backup").

Please refer to the Help:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/33_op1.html
https://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/36_op3.html

as these describe the overall functionality and operation.

With Panic Backup, you can configure (for example)
- to start backup from C: to D: when disk #0 (which contains C: ) reports a problem (which can be any problem on the Configuration -> Alerts page)
- to start backup from D: to E: when disk #1 (which contains D:) reports a problem
and so.

Configuring the same physical disk for source and target may be not a good idea, as physical problems may affect multiple partitions, So the idea is to configure different backup projects to save data to different drives.

For this, you'd need to open
1) Configuration -> Integration page. There you can create a backup project which can be file archive (copy) function and select source folders, target folder and options (for example to copy only new/changed files (incremental backup), keep last NN archives and so)
2) When the project configured, you can configure to run in scheduled way on any day(s) of the week (Schedule page)
3) and/or configure that should execute when a drive triggers alert (Panic backup page)

Of course you'd need to configure which files/folders to backup, which are the most important files and prepare the different locations, so it is not possible to give step-by-step instructions (eg. which folders to select)

> I reserve that it CAN NOT be 1 backup file (why? It's a long story)
> I want it to save in a normal way, files, folders, just like in the explorator.

This is _exactly_ the purpose of the backup projects, to simply COPY the files to different location. I completely agree you: this is much more safe than having a single image (which can be damaged/corrupted).

Personally I use for daily backups this way:

1) configured backup project to save all source code files (lots of files, but relatively small amount of data, eg. 2 GB) to a different drive
2) configured the project to keep last 1000 archives
3) configured the project to be executed every day (plus upon possible problem by the Panic Backup option)

This way I have access the last 1000 complete folder-structure with all source code files, saved once per day. This way I can any time check/reload any older file modified in the last 1000 days (almost 3 years)

You can create any number of backup projects and configure them to be executed at specific time, or upon problem - and can configure to launch them sequentially.

Alternatively, you can specify completely different external application(s) to be launched as backup project too.