With HDSen will I ever need to do a checkdisk ...

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
AndreL

With HDSen will I ever need to do a checkdisk ...

Post by AndreL »

Does HDSen do constant check disk to determine the HD health.
Is HDSen like a better check disk.

I just learned the diff between format and quick format but with this will I still need to do check disk for the sectors to be ID'd as bad
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: With HDSen will I ever need to do a checkdisk ...

Post by hdsentinel »

Basically HD Sentinel performs different disk testing and error-reporting than chkdsk.

HD Sentinel checks the hard disk physical parameters, verifying and reporting any issues (including but not limited to errors related to disk surface).
These include real "bad" sectors and weak sectors which may be re-used (different type of problems related to disk surface). This is a more general verification of working parameters compared to what chkdsk does.

In contrast, chkdsk performs verification of the logical drive(s) only. It scans and fixes corrupted files, MFT/FAT entries, directory entries and so. However, in most cases, when it finds any error (what it call "bad sector") it is not related to physical damage of the hard disk but related only to the logical drive (partition). Such problems usually caused by power failure, system freeze/reset, virus/malware and so - but not really related to the hard disk itself.
Performing a Disk menu -> Surface test -> Reinitialise disk surface test and creating a new partition on the affected hard disk usually corrects the problems reported by chkdsk as then all traces of the previous partition removed and new partition created (on the repaired disk surface).

If there are no problems reported in Hard Disk Sentinel about the hard disk and the operating environment is correct (proper cables, connections used; the operating temperature is correct; the power supply and power line is stable; no system crashes/freezes occur; no overclock in the system), you will probably never see chkdsk.
nimbystripes

Post by nimbystripes »

Is it possible to create a schedule like scan drives 5 minutes after you opened the system? Like this will be applicable anytime you open your computer?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, it is possible to configure a such project in Hard Disk Sentinel Professional.
Please refer to Help -> Components of the application -> Configuration -> Operations where it is possible to create a project to execute the external tool ( chkdsk in this case) and schedule it to run after 5 minutes after startup.

However, personally I do not feel it is required - or even not really recommended.
I'd more recommend to create a project there to schedule a complete hardware disk testing, for example schedule it to run once / twice per week, for example in the night.