AMD B550 BIOS RAID not detected by HDSentinel

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
shawn

AMD B550 BIOS RAID not detected by HDSentinel

Post by shawn »

My OS is Windows Server 2019. Motherboard is ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4.
I used to use windows to create RAID0, but I found the AMD motherboard BIOS RAID0 is a little faster after some testing. However, after switching to BIOS RAID, HDSentinel can no longer detect my HDDs’ smart status.
raid.1.png
raid.1.png (179.54 KiB) Viewed 7008 times
I have read the FAQ here:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq_amd_ahci ... roller.php
However, my windows Device Manager doesn’t have "AMD AHCI Compatible RAID Controller" device under Storage controllers. See screenshot below.
raid.2.png
raid.2.png (146.89 KiB) Viewed 7008 times
The driver I installed is from AMD website:
raid_windows_driver_930_00206.zip
I have to manually install the three drivers in the file to get it working:
rcbottom\
rccfg\
rcraid\
The RAID0 array is created with RAIDXpert2, a tool from AMD.
raid.3.png
raid.3.png (86.61 KiB) Viewed 7008 times
As you can see, all HDDs connected to the motherboard SATA port cannot see SMART info. The top three green ones are one M.2 drive and two HDDs connected to a PCIe card.
So, is it possible to detect the AMD RAID HDD SMART status with HDS?

Thanks!
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: AMD B550 BIOS RAID not detected by HDSentinel

Post by hdsentinel »

You can see the "problem" on the very first image: the very old version of Hard Disk Sentinel. As described on the website:

If you use latest possible hardware (new hard disk, new SSD, recent RAID controller, recent USB adapter or similar hardware) then make sure to use the latest Hard Disk Sentinel version as some very new hardware may be only supported by that.

Please use the automatic update from File menu to get the latest Hard Disk Sentinel 5.70 version. It has updated functions to detect and display the complete status of all SATA hard disks / SSDs (configured as RAID or standalone mode) with this AMD RAID solution.

I suggest to please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option after the update. This would confirm the situation and such reports always help to check if there is anything to modify/optimize/improve further for a particular controller. And if something is not working as should, the developer report helps to examine the situation.

(the page: https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq_amd_ahci ... roller.php refers to an older AMD chipset and RAID controller, it is not applicable in your case).
shawn

Post by shawn »

I just tried the 5.7 portable version and it CAN detect all RAID drivers!
Thanks!
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks, good to hear ;)