Drive Letter and Name Issue With RocketRAID 2220

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
waffles

Drive Letter and Name Issue With RocketRAID 2220

Post by waffles »

I have (2) RocketRAID 2220 RAID controller cards with (8) / (5) drives each in a server. In addition there are (2) other drives connected to the mobo controller (ASUS board). The drives connected to the RR controller are configured as legacy i.e. individual drives. This means each one has its own drive letter and drive name. This info shows correctly in Win Explorer, but also in the Partition Info section of HDS (lower left section). However, while all drives show up in the upper left section as well as in the HDS Status Window their drive letters and names are repeated. So instead of those (13) [8+5] distinct drive letters/names I only get (2) distinct names and letters, probably one from each controller card. (The drives connected to the mobo controller show up fine.)
This appears to be a bug. Please advise.
Thanks!

HDS version: 3.10 Pro (3755)

PS: I have demoed several other disk monitor utilities and I have found that HDS is by far the best for my needs! Thanks for great product!
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Drive Letter and Name Issue With RocketRAID 2220

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks so much for reporting the issue and your kind words!

To be honest, it is a known situation: with some RAID controllers the enumeration of the logical drives is not yet completed and that's why the drive letters may not be associated with the proper physical drives on these RAID controllers.
If you'd have only one array (regardless of the number of drives in the array) per controller instead of the individual disks, then there should be no problem with the drive letters. In case of two or more arrays or having individual drives may result that drive letters are not listed properly.

The first priority was to detect and show hard disk physical details (temperature, health and further information) but I'm doing my best to improve this situation and associate the drive letters to the proper physical disks on this RAID controller.
Sorry for the inconvenience.
waffles

Post by waffles »

Thanks for your reply.

I believe you are almost there: HDS already picks up the correct drive letter and disk name information - see (1). It is only that this information gets shown in some of the other areas, e.g. in the Status Window - see (2). Maybe this is something easy to fix.... It would be awesome if it was...
Attachments
Sentinel.jpg
Sentinel.jpg (157.08 KiB) Viewed 11558 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks!

Yes, this is the issue: the partition letters are not associated to the proper physical drives on the RAID controller.
It is not really easy to fix (that's why it is not yet completed ;) ), but hopefully it will be available in a later version.

If you can use the Report menu Send test report to developer option, it may help in development. Thanks!
waffles

Post by waffles »

Report sent.

Thanks for looking into this.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the report.
It helps lots as I rarely see reports when two or more such RAID cards is used in the same system.
I'll let you know any possible updates.
waffles wrote:Report sent.

Thanks for looking into this.