Display only the highest temperature in tray: Exclude drives

Any new ideas, possible impromevents for future versions.

Display only the highest temperature in tray: Exclude drives

Post by 6263768 »

Using HDD Sentinel v5.01 for Windows here.

The computer has 6 HDDs and 1 NVMe SSD installed.

HDD Sentinel has the functionality where the temperatures for each individual drive are shown in the system tray. But with 7 drives present, it makes for a lot of clutter, with 7 separate icons displayed.
Luckily, there's the option to "Show only the highest temperature in tray." It's the perfect solution: all the icons get combined into one, and I only really want a warning when one of the drives starts getting too hot. The normal operating range for my HDDs is around 35-40°C. When one of them gets to 45 or 50 or above, I'd like to know about it.

I was previously using an older version of HDD Sentinel which had no support for NVMe drives. I've upgraded to 5.01 which does.

Here's the catch: my SSD is mounted on the motherboard and runs much hotter, 60-70°C. For an SSD, it is completely fine. But now, the tray icon is firmly occupied by the SSD's temperature at all times, naturally since it's much hotter than any of my HDDs. SSDs can handle high temps very well. I don't really care about this temperature.

The older version of HDD Sentinel couldn't read the NVMe SSD's temperature. Thus it showed the temperature of the hottest HDD, which is exactly what I want.

With 5.01, which has NVMe support, now one of the modes is not very usable - excessive clutter with 7 icons; and the other mode is useless - the combined icon only ever shows the temperature of the SSD, unless of course one of the HDDs exceeds 70°C but then it's too late.

I'd like the ability to choose which drives are eligible for inclusion in that combined icon for temperature.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Display only the highest temperature in tray: Exclude dr

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and thanks for increasing attention about this special situation.

Yes, I completely understand and agree that in case of a "hot" drive (the NVMe SSD in this case) the display highest temperature option shows that - and this way you do not see the temperature change of the hard disks - which may be more interesting.

So yes, may be good option would be to exlclude one or more drive(s) when we determine the highest temperature value - and use the remaining drives only to show the tray icon with that. I suspect it can be added in a later version of the software.

Thanks for the tip!