status info on desktop

Any new ideas, possible impromevents for future versions.
VGER

status info on desktop

Post by VGER »

Hello,

I'm currently experimenting with the option to show the drive status window directly on the desktop ("Display information on desktop" in options). My problem is that I can't get the text to get sharp - the font always seems to do some outlining effect, even if "Background Color" is set to the color of the desktop. This makes the text all fuzzy and blurry. It is readable, but compared to the desktop icon texts the difference is considerable.

Can this "font outlining" be disabled somehow?

Regards
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: status info on desktop

Post by hdsentinel »

This designed exactly to outline the text better: to allow us to configure a color to increase visibility/readability of the information, especially on a colorful background image. For example if you configure a light text color and a darker background color - it may increase contrast.

Anyway, in this version:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/beta5/hdsent ... _5308b.zip

I made some changes to accept a registry trick to disable this outline, displaying the text only as-is.

To use this version, please just completely close the current version by File -> Exit and (without uninstallation) install this version to the same folder, where the previous installed. This way the new version will automatically use all statistics, settings.
Please do not launch this version automatically when the installation is completed.

Instead, open REGEDIT and navigate to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\HD Sentinel
(or HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HD Sentinel if you may have 32 bit Windows) where you see lots of entries.

Right click and create a new string (REG_SZ) called DisableFontOutline and specify 1 as value.

When you next time start Hard Disk Sentinel (only on startup) it reads the value and works according that, so if this value found, the font outline is not displayed.