Disable or reschedule midnight rescan

Any new ideas, possible impromevents for future versions.
drg

Disable or reschedule midnight rescan

Post by drg »

I noticed that HD Sentinel wakes up all my drives at midnight to rescan their status. This causes excessive noise, because my drives are usually sleeping and waking up all of them at the same time results in big vibration noises.
Is it possible to disable or change the schedule of this "midnight rescan" feature? Or maybe add a setting that force-scans the drive only if it was not refreshed in x days?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Disable or reschedule midnight rescan

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, I can confirm that it is normal.
Generally to have a "clean" statistics for the next day, the disk drives automatically detected at midnight, when the date changes.
Currently it is not possible to disable this behaviour, exactly to prevent troubles eg. possible wrong daily average/low/high temperature values - may be possible in a future version.
lvau

Post by lvau »

I second the request of the initial poster. I also have multiple drives in my system that are not accessed for a week or more, but I still want Hard Disk Sentinel to be running steadily to monitor the SMART once the drives are awake. Starting it once a week or something is not an option either. It would be great to have the option to disable the midnight SMART scan or force-scan the drive only if it was not refreshed in x days. Thank you for considering this feature in a future version.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

In order to keep the daily min/max/average temperature values correct, Hard Disk Sentinel automatically performs a "refresh" (like if it'd be restarted) to clear the counters and start a new day at midnight.

There is a "trick" to disable it if you do not prefer: close Hard Disk Sentinel completely by File -> Exit and start REGEDIT.

Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\HD Sentinel
and right click -> select new string.

The name should be NoMidnight and its value should be 1

After starting again, it will not perform this at midnight. May be useful ;)

Here is an image how it should look like in REGEDIT