Temperature Calibration for external USB Drives.

Any new ideas, possible impromevents for future versions.
Roy

Temperature Calibration for external USB Drives.

Post by Roy »

Hi

I have noticed that offset calibration of external USB/Firewire drives in the S.M.A.R.T. section is not supported. However i have an idea that i do believe should be possible as a kind of "emulation" based in HDS.

If there was an extra temperature feature for external drives where we could put in the offset Then HDS would just correct the temp shown on the drives based on those manually settings bypassing the S.M.A.R.T. reports lack of external usb/firewire support. that way i could still adjust my external drives temp offsets and don't have to care about S.M.A.R.T. I just want my drives temp readings to show as close to accurate as possible, S.M.A.R.T. support or not. What do you HDS guys think of this idea?

- Roy

Edit 25-07-14 I'll guess it's vacation times since there is no replies yet.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Temperature Calibration for external USB Drives.

Post by hdsentinel »

Hi!

> I have noticed that offset calibration of external USB/Firewire drives in the S.M.A.R.T. section is not supported.

This sounds really interesting. Of course if the external USB/Firewire drive supports accessing S.M.A.R.T. information (which is true for almost all modern USB enclosures/drives/adapters/docking stations) then the temperature offset calibration should work with no problems: you can any time adjust the offset on the S.M.A.R.T. page, just like for internal hard disks.
Firewire is a different thing: the bridge chips in firewire enclosures usually do not allow accessing S.M.A.R.T. details then yes, no status information (and no offset calibration/adjustment possible).

You may use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, then I can check the actual USB/Firewire hard disk type and the possibilities.

> However i have an idea that i do believe should be possible as a kind of "emulation" based in HDS.
>...
>What do you HDS guys think of this idea?

This sounds interesting and yes, it may be possible: Hard Disk Sentinel may use some kind of other temperature monitoring source to show the actual temperature - even if we have no temperature information from the drive.
Do you have any kind of temperature monitoring source, for example an USB-based digital thermometer or similar? Then Hard Disk Sentinel can read its measured temperature and if it's attached to the external hard disk, Hard Disk Sentinel can display this value for the corresponding hard disk - if it has no actual S.M.A.R.T. information available.

> Edit 25-07-14 I'll guess it's vacation times since there is no replies yet.

Sorry for the delay, yes, I was away and could not really access the forum in the past days.