Error code: 1 (1028) E: 1 A: E: -1 1

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
SHODAN

Error code: 1 (1028) E: 1 A: E: -1 1

Post by SHODAN »

Error while starting the test. The error code is: 1 (1028) E: 1 A: E: -1 1

The hard disk controller or its driver do not support this function

I see this error when I try to self-test a particular HDD.

right now, I have 2 SSDs connected directly to my motherboard's sata ports.

I also have a WD Red 6TB HDD connected to a Syba SATA III 4 Port PCI-e x1 controller card.

self-testing works absolutely fine on the SSDs and my external hard drives. I only see the error on the WD drive connected to the Syba SATA controller.

I tried self-testing the WD drive in seatools and the tests performed just fine. for this reason, I don't think there's a problem with the Syba controller drivers.

any help or comments are much appreciated!
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Error code: 1 (1028) E: 1 A: E: -1 1

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message.

Yes, I can confirm that the problem is related to the driver of the disk controller where the hard disk is connected.
Some drivers of disk contrllers do not support special functions like performing self-tests, adjusting acoustic level and so - and in this case, this or similar error may be displayed.
The E: 1 means "incorrect function" reported by the driver when the appropriate command is attempted - so the driver does not recognise the commands as a valid one (even if the hard disk supports that).
This is completely independent from the software and the hard disk itself: the driver blocks the command.

> I tried self-testing the WD drive in seatools and the tests performed just fine.
> for this reason, I don't think there's a problem with the Syba controller drivers.

This sounds so interesting. Under same OS, same set of drivers, the same command is blocked - regardless of which application tries to use it.

When you tried the other tool, did you receive any REAL response, for example the response codes (Fx) which you see in Hard Disk Sentinel when you run the test on other drives? That would confirm if the test is really running - otherwise it is possible (and it is not rare) that the tool tried to start the test and (ignoring the error value) shows that the test started - and then completed.

If you switch the drivers to generic (standard AHCI compatible or standard dual channel ATA driver depending on the controller and its operation) under Windows Device Manager, then things may be working in Hard Disk Sentinel - as then the driver will no longer blocks the appropriate command.

Also if you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option in Hard Disk Sentinel, I can check the actual situation and verify if things can be modified / changed as in most cases (especially with special RAID controller cards), ONLY Hard Disk Sentinel can send the appropriate self test command.

Alternatively (as this test may not be available and its limitations described in the Help) you may try the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test instead.