Recommended Tests for new HD and SSD/microSD/USB Memory

Any ideas, thoughts - not necessary related to Hard Disk Sentinel.
Octavehl

Recommended Tests for new HD and SSD/microSD/USB Memory

Post by Octavehl »

Hi
I'd like to address this to the HD Sentinel Support.
In PRO version, there're so many options and I'd like to find out what tests and sequences are highly recommended once new storage is purchased to ensure it has no defects and is reliable. When you have plenty of time (ideal) vs. when you don't have time luxury (a couple of hours or less). This may differ between HDD vs. flash-based storage. You can assume storage is brand new/empty.

I want to make sure it's reliable enough to start backing-up Terabytes of precious data (instead of return & replace). I'm aware recommendation is to wait until Health is 0% but if brand new, I wouldn't want to see health too low.

Thanks as always
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Recommended Tests for new HD and SSD/microSD/USB Memory

Post by hdsentinel »

Please check Support -> Frequently Asked Questions page:

Hard disk health is low or recently changed or I just installed a new (used) hard disk. How can I perform a deep analysis?
https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#tests

This gives information about the best, most sophisticated test methods which includes
- internal hardware self-test of the disk components
- complete read surface test to reveal possible issues
- intensive reinitialize / write, read and compare

by the combiation of these tests:

To summarize, the following steps are the best to detect and repair hard disk problems:
1) Disk -> Short self test
2) Disk -> Extended self test
3) Disk -> Surface test -> Read test
4) Disk -> Surface test -> Reinitialize disk surface

If you prefer to save time, you may ignore #2 (extended self test). If the short self test completes (so the disk components generally working) and you plan to perform a surface test with the Disk -> Surface test -> Read test function, then step #2 (which would also do a surface read) may be not required.

If you prefer to save even more time, you may use Disk menu -> Surface test -> Write+Read test at #4 (instead of Disk -> Surface test -> Reinitialize disk surface) to verify both write and read functionality of the device.

The above is applicable for hard disks and SSDs too.

Other type of flash memory (memory cards, pendrives) usually have no internal self tests, so then you may only use

3) Disk -> Surface test -> Read test
4) Disk -> Surface test -> Reinitialize disk surface (or the mentioned Write+Read test)

The Write+Read test can be also effectively used to verify if the complete capacity can be read and written (especially if non-zero write pattern selected on the Configuration tab, after you select Disk menu -> Surface test and just before starting the test), for example to reveal "fake" pendrives / memory cards which show them as high capacity (eg. 128 GB) while only 1/10 (or less) of that is really usable.

For memory cards, pendrives (used for longer time, especially if they may seem slower) I'd also mention the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read+Write+Read test (refresh data area) which designed to make the drive "fresh" by re-programming all sectors. This one test may not repair possible problems (as it designed for different purpose) but can make a drive working like a new.

Also you may check the Help about all possible tests:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/59_tests.html
https://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/62_testfaq.html
and the sub-pages.
Octavehl

Re: Recommended Tests for new HD and SSD/microSD/USB Memory

Post by Octavehl »

Hi -Thank you so much for the detailed explanation. Awesome support as always.

Cheers