Disks behind Adaptec Raid Controller

Any ideas, thoughts - not necessary related to Hard Disk Sentinel.
perdrix

Disks behind Adaptec Raid Controller

Post by perdrix »

I can't speak for the non-Linux version, but the Linux version doesn't seem to report on the state of individual drives attached to an Adaptec Raid controller.

I have configured smartd.conf to monitor them:

Code: Select all

/dev/sdb -d aacraid,0,0,0 -n standby -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner
/dev/sdb -d aacraid,0,0,1 -n standby -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner
/dev/sdb -d aacraid,0,0,2 -n standby -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner
/dev/sdb -d aacraid,0,0,3 -n standby -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner
/dev/sdb -d aacraid,0,0,4 -n standby -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner
/dev/sdb -d aacraid,0,0,5 -n standby -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner
/dev/sdb -d aacraid,0,0,6 -n standby -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner
/dev/sdb -d aacraid,0,0,7 -n standby -m root -M exec /usr/share/smartmontools/smartd-runner
Is this because I need to do something to tell HDSentinel, or is this just not supported?

TIA Dave
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Disks behind Adaptec Raid Controller

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks, yes, this is completely normal.

Adaptec RAID controllers are supported in the Windows version only where complete disk status information about SATA and SAS hard disks / SSDs can be detected and displayed without problems.
perdrix

Post by perdrix »

:( That's a shame - do I understand this is quite tricky to achieve on Linux?

Dave
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes .... The problem is that there are really high number of Linux distributions available and even if things should generally work - there are lots of differences in the drivers used in each of the distributions for such special controllers. So it is possible that things may work on one system - but not on other and under Linux, things are worse to make, debug, examine.

Will examine the possibilities about Adaptec controllers too (as this feature asked by other user too), but it may take some time....
perdrix

Post by perdrix »

If you need access to an Ubuntu system with an Adaptec Raid (ASR-51245) installed, I can try to drill a hole in my firewall to get you in.

Dave