sentinel is ignoring automatic detection option?

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
mm74

sentinel is ignoring automatic detection option?

Post by mm74 »

so, sentinel worked ok on my old asrock z370 pro4 board, i just switched over to gigabyte z370 hd3p, and boom.. now sentinel wakes drives again despite the option being set :)
..i'll try with a fresh install of 2019 ltsc but the fact that it got broke just with a switch of mobos with same chipset is kinda weird :)
any ideas?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: sentinel is ignoring automatic detection option?

Post by hdsentinel »

I can confirm that Sentinel is NOT "ignoring" any option.

The difference can be different DRIVER of the chipset which works differently.
This is not rare ;)
mm74

Post by mm74 »

well hdd's are asleep (and obviously there's no data being transferred) and with an option set sentinel still wakes them up.. tried on internal 300 series controller with std ahci and rst drivers - it's all same-same...
..so sentinel somehow detects activity even when there's no activity at all
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

This may happen if Windows do not provide the real time performance information (performance counter objects) correctly.

When you use the appropriate disks for read/write, do you see the real disk activity on the "Performance" page?
If not, then the activity detection would be not possible.
See the Support -> F.A.Q. section for details about the performance counters, how to check and repair in Windows: https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#perf

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option (as always) I can check the actual situation, verify the performance counters too.
mm74

Post by mm74 »

performance counters are ok.. from second look it seems like registry accessing problems of some kind, portable version works just fine, if i'll be able to localize the issue i'll get back but so far portable will do for me