Hard Disk Sentinel FAQ issue

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
Nero

Hard Disk Sentinel FAQ issue

Post by Nero »

You can ask for replacement hard disk only when the hard disk health is 0 %

I can not agree with that. The disk may show a greater % value, but stop functioning normally (example: 56%)
Therefore, "0%" is not true here.
I read various comments on forums, where people asked, for example, whether a new disk with bad sectors could be refunded.
Probably yes. Only it would have to show, for example, some screen or information that the disk has bad sectors (Example:
, and if they did not want to replace it could be said that they would guarantee that data will not be lost.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Hard Disk Sentinel FAQ issue

Post by hdsentinel »

> I can not agree with that. The disk may show a greater % value, but stop functioning normally (example: 56%)
> Therefore, "0%" is not true here.

Of course if the disk stops functioning normally, then REGARDLESS of health, warranty replacement should be provided.

The F.A.Q. shows a different situation: when the disk is working, "just" bad sectors detected, then warranty replacement may not possible until their count reaches the error-level threshold set by the manufacturer. This is when 0 % health displayed.

Originally with some bad sectors manufacturers did not offer warranty replacement which can be accepted as they are no longer used, the spare area is used for all future reads/writes instead (see other topic in the F.A.Q.)
Nowadays yes, more and more manufacturers can offer replacement in this case, but this may be not true in all cases.

> I read various comments on forums, where people asked, for example, whether a new disk with bad sectors could be refunded.
> Probably yes.

Yes, probably. But this depends on the actual situation and the manufacturer / distributor, how he can handle such situations.

Please note that manufacturer-specific software/tools usually do not show the amount of bad sectors, exactly because they designed only to show if the error-level threshold (which required for the warranty replacement) reached or not. Yes, for warranty purposes, these tools are decisive - but to check real status, possible degradations, data safety these may be not enough.