How to properly perform temperature calibration?+other issue

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
Nero

How to properly perform temperature calibration?+other issue

Post by Nero »

How to properly perform temperature calibration? Because I do not know exactly what to do.
Temperature status is good.
It is recommended to calibrate the temperature and set the temperature offset on the S.M.A.R.T. page. This way later the correct temperature value will be displayed.
WDC WD20EFRX-68AX9N0
WDC WD40EFRX-68WT0N0

other issue:
Why saved data on the new disk after scanning show "Excellent" and "Good".
Does not always save every file on the disk with perfect state?
Does it depend on the size of the file? And access time?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: How to properly perform temperature calibration?+other i

Post by hdsentinel »

Please check the Help -> Appendix -> Temperatre calibration page which describes:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/55_calibration.html

Generally you may verify the accuracy of the temperature sensor of the disk drive by an external thermometer (or just comparing the very first reported value to the temperature of the room / office) and set possible difference to correct the temperature sensor.
This is usually not required on modern disk drives, very old Maxtor, some Samsung and WD models may showed 10-20 Celsius less (or more) than the real temperature and these could be corrected this way.

> other issue:
> Why saved data on the new disk after scanning show "Excellent" and "Good".
> Does not always save every file on the disk with perfect state?
> Does it depend on the size of the file? And access time?[/quote]

1. Please submit "other issue" in the proper topic (as it may be not related to the current)
2. Sorry, but I do not really understand what you mean....
Nero

Post by Nero »

Without reference to a specific manufacturer, we can say that the optimal temperature range for HDD is from 30 to 45 ° C. This is a stable performance of the disk operating in a clean room at room temperature.

Above 50-55 ° C - has already been considered a critical figure that should not be on the average level of disk load.

However, WD "RED" disks can have different parameters because they are designed to run 24/7

Wester Digital HDD Maximum: 60 ° C (in some models, 70 ° C).

So, can calibrate the disk temperature from these values?

Example:
Current Temp. 39C
Average Temp. (today) 38C
Max. temp. (today) 39C
Max. Temp. (during entire lifespan) 53C
Max. Temp. (ever measured) 47C
Min. Temp. (ever measured) 22C
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, I completely agree about the temperature ranges.

> So, can calibrate the disk temperature from these values?

Exxcuse me but no, this is completely different thing.
The temperature cailbration function is completely independent from the acceptable temperature range.

The temperature calibration helps to correct the value provided by the temperature sensor of the disk drive.

For example, if you power ON your system (after a long power OFF period) and you see 50 Celsius immediately reported by the disk drive (while the room / office has 22 Celsius only) then there is good chance that the temperature sensor shows much higher temperature than the real value.
This can be corrected by the temperature calibration function.

If you have multiple hard disks, they should all report same / similar temperatures, near the current room temperature (some minor difference is acceptable of course).

> Current Temp. 39C
> Average Temp. (today) 38C
> Max. temp. (today) 39C
> Max. Temp. (during entire lifespan) 53C
> Max. Temp. (ever measured) 47C
> Min. Temp. (ever measured) 22C

These numbers are fine - but from these, nobody knows if the sensor is accurate, provides correct information. It is usually true for most modern hard disk drives, just older ones may require correction.