Crash when trying to back up settings

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
tired

Crash when trying to back up settings

Post by tired »

I was on the Configuration > Update dialog, trying to back up the configuration. I clicked the "Backup Configuration" button, but it would not let me navigate to the location I wanted to save the backup file in. I think the target HDD may have been in sleep mode (per Windows power settings). While I was trying to select the desired save location, HDSentinel.exe crashed. I found the information below in the Event Viewer:

Code: Select all

Faulting application name: HDSentinel.exe, version: 5.40.0.0, time stamp: 0x2a425e19
Faulting module name: StartMenuHelper32.dll, version: 4.3.1.0, time stamp: 0x59907512
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x00008216
Faulting process id: 0x40ac
Faulting application start time: 0x01d50817a9ee16c4
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Hard Disk Sentinel\HDSentinel.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\StartMenuHelper32.dll
Report Id: 8c8ea1b0-3de6-4b3b-ae77-446ad9a1e8bd
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Crash when trying to back up settings

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your attention and sorry for the possible troubles.

So if I understand correctly, the dialog to select the file is not displayed at all?
Generally that dialog displayed and managed by Windows and generally independent from Hard Disk Sentinel: Hard Disk Sentinel just asks the system to display that and receive back the selected name.

If the crash happens then, it may be somehow related to the fact which displays the dialog, for example
- shell add on ( StartMenuHelper32.dll may be related)
- system management or custom skin software which modifies the dialog behaviour

Please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option. Checking the current OS version, language (locale) setting may help to find out what happened and I can try to re-produce and verify what could be done to improve the situation.
tired

Re: Crash when trying to back up settings

Post by tired »

I did not realize it at the time, but StartMenuHelper32.dll is part of Classic Shell (classicshell.net). So this may not be your issue. Sorry about that.

I would send a test report (if you still would like me to) but I'm concerned about what data gets sent. No offense intended.

Thank you!