Getting HD Sentinal Linux to report to HDS Enterprise?

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
jdb2

Getting HD Sentinal Linux to report to HDS Enterprise?

Post by jdb2 »

I would post this to the Linux sub-forum, but it seems to be dead. I have a Windows 10 64-bit Enterprise machine and another machine that's running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon 64-bit. I'd like to know if HD Sentinel for Linux can predict drive failures based on a statistical analysis of polled S.M.A.R.T. data like the Windows version can. Is there some kind of cron job that I should run if it can't? Also, perhaps if I upgrade to HD Sentinel Enterprise ( I have the Pro edition ) it could perhaps interoperate with the Linux version and analyze the S.M.A.R.T. statistics?

Thanks,

jdb2
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Getting HD Sentinal Linux to report to HDS Enterprise?

Post by hdsentinel »

The easiest way to monitor one single Linux system is to monitor like a NAS: configure the Linux version of Hard Disk Sentinel (yes, with cron) to create periodic reports which you can load in Hard Disk Sentinel Pro version.
This discussed at

https://www.hdsentinel.com/how_to_monit ... status.php

and the solution would work with non-NAS devices too if you use the Linux version.

Hard Disk Sentinel Enterprise designed to monitor multiple systems (from 10). For that, there is a different Linux client available which runs in the background and provides status information to the Enterprise Server. This is a completely different approach (and this does not use the public Linux client).

The Linux sub-forum is not "dead". Just because of the less interest and because we had no sponsors to support the development of Linux area, that part can only advance (much...) slower.
jdb2

Post by jdb2 »

hdsentinel wrote:The easiest way to monitor one single Linux system is to monitor like a NAS: configure the Linux version of Hard Disk Sentinel (yes, with cron) to create periodic reports which you can load in Hard Disk Sentinel Pro version.
This discussed at

https://www.hdsentinel.com/how_to_monit ... status.php

and the solution would work with non-NAS devices too if you use the Linux version.
Thanks a lot! :D This is exactly what I was looking for :)
Hard Disk Sentinel Enterprise designed to monitor multiple systems (from 10). For that, there is a different Linux client available which runs in the background and provides status information to the Enterprise Server. This is a completely different approach (and this does not use the public Linux client).
Thanks for the info :) I think I'm going to buy the Enterprise version -- I own a 5-seat license for the Pro version.
The Linux sub-forum is not "dead". Just because of the less interest and because we had no sponsors to support the development of Linux area, that part can only advance (much...) slower.
I didn't mean to seem negative. It's just that the forum contained hardly any posts, with the last one being almost a year old. It's a shame that you haven't received enough help to develop the Linux version further. It's strange since most large NAS setups run Linux. One would think there'd be more interest.

Thanks and regards,

jdb2
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

> It's strange since most large NAS setups run Linux. One would think there'd be more interest.

There is great interest from users as it is a real requirement today to monitor disk status.

Personally I'm surprised that NAS manufacturers show no interest. Offered help and cooperation for them to provide out-of-the-box option/functionality for users but never received any response. Hopefully this may change in the future.