Possible to check a specifik part of a hdd?

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
dacore84

Possible to check a specifik part of a hdd?

Post by dacore84 »

I got some files that are really slow to access. If I copy them to another part of the hdd then there is no problem to access them.
The hdd is brand new. Is it possible to check that specifik part of the hdd where the files are stored?
It´s a 10 TB hdd so it would take forever to check the whole thing. In this case it´s like 5 GB I want to check for errors.

Could that be done?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Possible to check a specifik part of a hdd?

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, of course you can test a specific part of the hard disk drive.

Please select the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test (if you prefer to use read test).
Then (before starting the test) please select Configuration tab and there is option to "Limit testing to specific data blocks".
By that, you can configure which blocks should be tested. As the complete surface area is divided to 10000 blocks during the test, you can (for example) set
- First block = 0
- Last block = 999
to test the first 10% of the disk drive.

The problem is that you'd not know the actual location of the files. When Hard Disk Sentinel finds problem with one or more sectors, it can display which file stored on the affected sector, but there is no option to check the actual location of a specific file.
dacore84

Post by dacore84 »

hdsentinel wrote:Yes, of course you can test a specific part of the hard disk drive.

Please select the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test (if you prefer to use read test).
Then (before starting the test) please select Configuration tab and there is option to "Limit testing to specific data blocks".
By that, you can configure which blocks should be tested. As the complete surface area is divided to 10000 blocks during the test, you can (for example) set
- First block = 0
- Last block = 999
to test the first 10% of the disk drive.

The problem is that you'd not know the actual location of the files. When Hard Disk Sentinel finds problem with one or more sectors, it can display which file stored on the affected sector, but there is no option to check the actual location of a specific file.
Thank you very much for your reply.

Ok I see. Do you think there is a problem with the disk or could there be anything else?
I copied the files to another part of the same HDD and there were no problems copying or using those files afterwards.
Why are the files so slow to access on that specific part of the HDD?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

The temporary performance decrease can be related to lots of things: background activity of an other software (or Windows), possible fragmented file system and so.

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, I can check the actual status of the disk drive, verify if there may anything which would require attention.

And as always, if you feel something suspicious, you can use the tests ( https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#tests ) to confirm if the status is stable and correct - or reveal any (even minor) problem.

The Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test is a good solution in such situations. Yes, may take long time but as it checks the whole disk surface, you can be sure that it verifies if all sectors on the hard disk drive can be read. The test reports possible delays/retries - and also verifies and (with darker green color) shows possible slower areas. This way you can verify if there are slower areas of a disk (where you see large, continuous dark color on the disk surface map).
dacore84

Post by dacore84 »

hdsentinel wrote:The temporary performance decrease can be related to lots of things: background activity of an other software (or Windows), possible fragmented file system and so.

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, I can check the actual status of the disk drive, verify if there may anything which would require attention.

And as always, if you feel something suspicious, you can use the tests ( https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#tests ) to confirm if the status is stable and correct - or reveal any (even minor) problem.

The Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test is a good solution in such situations. Yes, may take long time but as it checks the whole disk surface, you can be sure that it verifies if all sectors on the hard disk drive can be read. The test reports possible delays/retries - and also verifies and (with darker green color) shows possible slower areas. This way you can verify if there are slower areas of a disk (where you see large, continuous dark color on the disk surface map).
Thank you very much for all the info! I will look into this!