HDSentinel P420 listing HDD wrong

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
2ndSoftware

HDSentinel P420 listing HDD wrong

Post by 2ndSoftware »

Hey,

we got a Pro License today and installed it on our HP DL380e G8 (25xSFF) with Windows Server 2012r2.
We have a P420 in the server and have 2x146GB HDD configured with each RAID0 (or together in RAID1 - tested both)

If we put another HDD into the DL380e Chassis it will be listed as system-drive and showing the exact same size of the System-drives
Also for testing we used a 900GB HDD from HP. HDSentinel shows it as 146GB HDD. But only in the overview on the left and in the .txt report.

See attached photo.

We also attached one Storage-Expansion to see if it is listed faulty as well. The HDDs plugged into the Expansion are listed with information correctly
Attachments
HDSENTINAL_assignes_all_hdds_on_local_mascheen_to_System_reserved.jpg
HDSENTINAL_assignes_all_hdds_on_local_mascheen_to_System_reserved.jpg (248.47 KiB) Viewed 3296 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: HDSentinel P420 listing HDD wrong

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for your message and attention.

Generally this depends on the RAID controller. Hard Disk Sentinel detects the RAID configuration (disks / arrays / logical drives exported to the OS) and if the RAID controller may provide it incorrectly - then the order of the disks may be not perfect. This is rare but can happen with some controllers. Then numerous filters/corrections used to do the best.

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option (or open Configuration -> Send test report page to create, save and send developer report) I can check the "raw" response of the controller, verify the wrong information it provided about the actual RAID configuration and check what can be done to improve the display.

The main goal is to detect and display all physical disk drives and as much status information as possible. So even if the controller provides partial/not correct logical drive information, you may use the comment field (the middle of the main window) to specify any information, for example logical drive or so which may help identification.
2ndSoftware

Post by 2ndSoftware »

Hey,

we send a log yesterday. let me know if there is anything we can do to fix this.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the Hard Disk Sentinel report and your attention.

I examined, and as I see the drive (disk #2, the 900 GB drive) is currently "unassigned". So if I'm correct, it is not exported to Windows: the system can't read/write the drive.

Generally Hard Disk Sentinel attempts to enumerate the drives available for the system (so readable/write-able for the user) and list them in the order they appear in Windows Disk Management to allow easy identification.

There are exceptions of course:

1) when Hard Disk Sentinel found a RAID array, then it shows the RAID members and their status (not just the virtual drive, eg. "HP LOGICAL VOLUME")

2) when Hard Disk Sentinel found special drives, which are not exported to the OS (unassigned, spare, uninitialized, foreign, etc...) it tries to "connect" internally with an existing drive or RAID array, exactly to allow displayed (otherwise it would be not displayed because not available for Windows).

This is what you see: the disk (with its model, health, status, temperature and further information on the S.M.A.R.T. page) displayed - just seems associated with a RAID array.

This is generally normal and expected behaviour - sorry if this caused troubles or confusion. Will check possibilities to change this behaviour and/or outline better that this drive is generally independent.