Question about Reset workload counters

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
roger_m

Question about Reset workload counters

Post by roger_m »

I just installed v5.30 and I have a question about the Reset workload counters function for Intel SSD. Does it just reset the lifetime writes value for Intel SSDs? Is it done as soon as you click on it, or is there a confirmation prompt?

I think it would be better if was not shown on the main HDSentinel screen and made available somewhere else. If it is for resetting the lifetime writes, it is not something I would ever want to use and in its current location, I may accidentally click it.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Question about Reset workload counters

Post by hdsentinel »

No, of course I can confirm that the Reset workload counters button does NOT reset the lifetime writes value or any other similar lifetime status/statistics.
All lifetime-values (power on time, lifetwrite writes, possible errors etc.) remain. No, the function does NOT reset/clear any of such values.

The "workload counters" function of some Intel SSDs designed to allow users to watch how the SSD is generally used for longer period.
This function contains a counter (which just increases), a timed wear indicator and a % value which suggests how much % of all commands sent to the SSD is causing READ (vs WRITE).

These attributes (you can check on the S.M.A.R.T. page, their current and historical value):

226 Timed Workload Media Wear Indicator
227 Timed Workload Host Reads Percentage
228 Workload Timer

The use of the "Reset workload counters" button is completely safe, just resets the above mentioned values, so the SSD starts counting / measuring time and the read/write commands. The values may reset to 0000FFFFh and then with time, begin showing the results.
Nothing else - and nothing more, so the actual "power on time", "lifetime writes", "wearout" and other attributes are unaffected.

By this function, you can (for example) check what happens after installation / uninstallation of some software, for example software performing lots of disk I/O operation.
roger_m

Post by roger_m »

Thanks for clarifying that and your excellent software.
dr0

Post by dr0 »

I wonder if it's possible to recover the original values back after you reset workload counters?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

The drive itself does not provide the previous values, but if you select the proper attributes on the S.M.A.R.T. page:

226 Timed Workload Media Wear Indicator
227 Timed Workload Host Reads Percentage
228 Workload Timer

then you can check the graph on the bottom about the previous values and their change.

You may double click on the graph to display all possible recorded values (by default, only selected values displayed) and you can export after right click if the graph may look a bit "crowded".
dr0

Post by dr0 »

Is it possible to hide this option from the main UI or at least to add an addition alert before it takes effect after you click on it?