Running HDS causes my disks to disconnect

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
18000rpm

Running HDS causes my disks to disconnect

Post by 18000rpm »

I'm using a Probox 8-bay USB 3.0+SATA enclosure (http://www.mediasonic.ca/product.php?id=1357290761).

It used to run fine when I was on Windows 7. After upgrading to Windows 10, when I run HDS my disks will frequently disconnect for no reason.

I've updated to the latest version 4.71 standard but it still does that.

Any ideas?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Running HDS causes my disks to disconnect

Post by hdsentinel »

Excuse me for the troubles, but it is not really related to Hard Disk Sentinel.

Generally the JMicron chipset of the enclosure sometimes not responding in the time when accessed.
If this happens, the system may disconnect the device.
This can be related to the current OS (as you can see) more precisely the drivers of the disk controller where the device is connected.

If possible, you may try to switch between eSATA and USB (if you have both controllers) just to verify if there is any difference. Plus if there is a driver update for the problematic controller, you may consider to install that, may improve the situation.

Also it is possible that a power management function incorrectly activates. Then on next access (which may be the periodic status detection initated by Hard Disk Sentinel) the device is disconnected.
I'd recommend to open Configuration -> Disk Control and in the "Do not allow spin down of disks" field specify a * (star) character.
This way the disks are periodically accessed when they're otherwise idle to prevent power management function to be activated - and this may result that the device stays in the system.

I recommend to try the latest 4.71.10 version which has generic changes/improvements for such JMicron chipsets and devices build around such chip.

Also please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option when things are working correctly (preferred immediately after startup).
This may help to investigate the situation, check what is the raw response of the device and verify if things may be better.
18000rpm

Post by 18000rpm »

Appreciate the reply but I don't think it's fair to say this is not related to HDS. The fact is, my computer works absolutely fine but as soon as I run HDS my disks disconnect a few times a day, which causes all sorts of apps to break because they suddenly lose the disks. You can blame it on the driver if you want but the fact is everything runs fine without HDS, so it would be up to HDS to properly work around the driver's issues or limitations.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

I completely and 100% agree.

This is why I asked to

please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option when things are working correctly (preferred immediately after startup).
This may help to investigate the situation, check what is the raw response of the device and verify if things may be better.

Without knowing more about the actual situation, checking the driver(s), their raw response and the possible problems they cause I can't say anything for sure, can't make any changes for that particular bug or compatibility problem in the driver.

I remember when Intel SATA drivers 10.0 and some versions around them released, every different driver version required special attention (due to their bugs) and the mentioned developer reports helped in investigation the drivers improper operation with particular chipsets, disk drives and combinations of these. Such reports helped to find solutions and workaround for the situation.
The same is true for other controllers and driver versions too - there are many which require special attention (and Hard Disk Sentinel knows these and use the best methods to have highest possible compatibility).

Of course generally I do my best to improve the situation - so if I can examine things with more details, attempt to reproduce (by creating similar configuration by using the controller/motherboard, OS, driver, disk drives) then things will be surely improved.

Please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option. More such reports (for example when things are correct and after a possible change) would help to check what happened, reproduce and avoid such situation.
18000rpm

Post by 18000rpm »

Thank you for your response and advise. I just sent the report.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks for the report, yes, now I see: generally now everything seems perfect.
So it may be good question what triggers that during the detection (which is generally work like a normal disk access, like reading one sector) the device is not responding correctly.

To be honest, I was also thinking that higher temperature may cause troubles - but as I examined the temperatures of the drives (so generally the enclosure with the chipset) is fine. So this surely causes no problems.

Generally if things were working fine under Windows 7 but not perfect under Windows 10, then the most common cause is the different drivers used for any of the devices (this is why I wrote, just to describe the background). In this situation, I suspect the USB 3.0 controller (or the motherboard chipset in general). Windows 10 installs a default, usually older and not the best driver set. The best would be to know what drivers was used under Win7, - as this would help to install and make things better under Windows 10 too.

Also the difference may be caused by different power settings (maybe related to power scheme / power management configuration) which powers down hard disks due to inactivity. May worth a check.

Can you please try the setting I suggested previously:

I'd recommend to open Configuration -> Disk Control and in the "Do not allow spin down of disks" field specify a * (star) character.
This way the disks are periodically accessed when they're otherwise idle to prevent power management function to be activated - and this may result that the device stays in the system.

Just to verify if there is any difference, as probably the situation will be better by that.
18000rpm

Post by 18000rpm »

I tried the "Do not allow spin down of disks" setting (*). It didn't help.

When I run HDS now the disks immediately connect/disconnect repeatedly. It wasn't this bad before. Really strange.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

This is more than interesting.
I expect that the power management function should be not activated and the connection with the disks should be better, more stable.

I examined other reports from other users with similar enclosure and it seems they used with Windows 7 / 8.1 (where there were no problems) and under Windows 10, different USB controller (where again there where no problems).

So I still feel the issue is related somehow to the driver currently used for the USB 3.0 controller.
I did some researches for changed/updated drivers, but not found yet. I'm keep searching.

If possible, at least for a test, can you please try to connect the device to any of the USB 2.0 ports of your motherboard?
Just to verify if the situation is 100% same, or if there is any difference when a different USB controller used.
18000rpm

Post by 18000rpm »

Every now and then I try the new version and see if it fixes this issue for me.

Still no good.

Previously tried 5.40 and it disconnected, just tried 5.50 and it still disconnects all the hard disks mounted in my USB enclosure after I open HD Sentinel.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Sorry, but after my last message

"If possible, at least for a test, can you please try to connect the device to any of the USB 2.0 ports of your motherboard?
Just to verify if the situation is 100% same, or if there is any difference when a different USB controller used."

I received no further messages. Because that, I can confirm that yes, nothing changed specifically for this device - since I did not received reply...

Please try the latest 5.50.9 version (which also has some generic changes for some external enclosures) and use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option immediately after startup (hopefully then things will still working). If not, please send an e-mail to info (at) hdsentinel (dot) com and I'll send further steps to test.
18000rpm

Post by 18000rpm »

After my computer rebooted with HD Sentinel set to autostart it has been running fine the past few days. Will monitor and see how it goes.