SCSI /dev/sdb Temperature Unknown

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
chandra

SCSI /dev/sdb Temperature Unknown

Post by chandra »

Hi,
I am using HDSentinel LINUX console 0.18a.8675 and i am getting SCSI /dev/sda details but not getting /dev/sdb details please help me. :D :shock:
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: SCSI /dev/sdb Temperature Unknown

Post by hdsentinel »

The Linux version scans all disks and should display the details of all drives found (including /dev/sdb of course) if it can be accessed and provides any kind of status information.

If you prefer, you may try to force detection of a particular device by starting with

-dev /dev/sdb

command line parameters (but I do not think it would change, as if the drive would provide status correctly, then it should be automatically detected).

Not sure, but may be related to the disk controller too.

If possible, please try to start with -enabletest command line parameter and also create a report, so start this way:

./HDSentinel -enabletest -r report.txt

This saves a testmode.txt file which contains the steps performed during detection and "raw" response got from different devices.

If you can send that file and the created report.txt file too to info (at) hdsentinel (dot) com address, I can examine the results on your system, examine the behaviour of your controller/drive and check if/how things can be improved.
chandra

Post by chandra »

Thanks for replay.
chandra

Post by chandra »

I have sent the mail to info@hdsentinel.com any updates.
chandra

Post by chandra »

And it is not working for some of ssd harddrive.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

chandra wrote:I have sent the mail to info@hdsentinel.com any updates.
While I did not receive the testmode.txt, so not 100% sure, I sent a detailed answer in mail with information on 21 Dec 2019,
I wonder why you did not receive it.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

chandra wrote:And it is not working for some of ssd harddrive.
Thanks, but I do not really understand what you mean.

Please do exactly as I wrote above to create a testmode.txt and report.txt files as then I can check the detected information, verify if there may be something to modify/adjust/correct/improve.
chandra

Post by chandra »

hdsentinel wrote:
chandra wrote:And it is not working for some of ssd harddrive.
Thanks, but I do not really understand what you mean.

Please do exactly as I wrote above to create a testmode.txt and report.txt files as then I can check the detected information, verify if there may be something to modify/adjust/correct/improve.
I send the both files please check it.
chandra

Post by chandra »

hdsentinel wrote:
chandra wrote:I have sent the mail to info@hdsentinel.com any updates.
While I did not receive the testmode.txt, so not 100% sure, I sent a detailed answer in mail with information on 21 Dec 2019,
I wonder why you did not receive it.
Now i resented the files please check it.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, now the testmode.txt also arrived, it confirms that you have two RAID arrays managed on the same RAID controller.
In this case, when the software starts and finds the first array, Hard Disk Sentinel Linux version automatically enumerates all disk drives on the controller. So all drives (from all arrays) detected and appear, just like if they'd form a complete big array (dev/sda in this case).

Then, when /dev/sdb found, Hard Disk Sentinel checks the controller again - but as all drives already enumerated (and all should appear only once) no new disks displayed and the /dev/sdb shows up as the array name.

With other words, all disks of dev/sdb also already detected and displayed.

This is normal and expected under Linux - as due to the limitations, under Linux it is not possible to determine the relation between the arrays/logical drives and physical disks.