End-To-End Error Count. What To Do?

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
theoldfarter

End-To-End Error Count. What To Do?

Post by theoldfarter »

A portable Hard Drive. Performance 100%. Health 60%.

Overview: 75 errors occurred during data transfer.
S.M.A.R.T. #184. End-To-End Error Count. 99/25/25. Advisory: Usage limit exceeded. 00000000004B.

Everything else seems to be OK.

From what I can tell, from searching the forum, it is a matter of corrupted data and/or a cable error.
I have changed the cable from another external Hard Drive, that is 100%/100%.
I will monitor both drives on a monthly basis as they are mainly used for storage.

Do I reset the End-To-End? If so, do I do what is shown here, for resetting?
https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_ca ... _error.php

Thanks.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: End-To-End Error Count. What To Do?

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, these usually caused by cables, connections or sometimes power source. With 2.5" external hard disks it is not rare, especially if used on single USB 2.0 connection which may not provide enough power for proper operation. As a result, the data may be damaged/corrupted and even the disk drive health can degrade. This is why likely the health is 60%.

You can clear this error counter at the S.M.A.R.T. page if you select the attribute 184 and in the "Offset" column click on the 0 between the + and -
Then, after the small confirmation window, you can specify -75 (the amount of problems with negative sign).
Then such 75 errors will be no longer displayed / counted by this Hard Disk Sentinel installation, just possible new issues will be reported.

However, as the error-level threshold reached, the health may not improve.

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, it is possible to check the complete status of the disk drive and based on that I can advise, for example by checking with different tests, to verify/confirm its usability.
theoldfarter

Post by theoldfarter »

Thank you for your reply. I have sent the report that you requested. I will await your evaluation of it before I change anything.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Thanks, yes, I received it. I see that yes, it is 2.5" external disk drive.

Personally I'd perform some testing, just to verify the situation, confirm if the disk drive is correctly working - or reveal any possible issues.
As this is a 4 TB disk drive, it may take long time.... but personally I'd try Disk menu -> Short self test (it may take some minutes only) and Disk menu -> Extended self test (may take 10 hours or so).

And yes, you can clear the error counter as mentioned: please select the attribute 184 and in the "Offset" column click on the 0 between the + and -
Then, after the small confirmation window, you can specify -75 (the amount of problems with negative sign).
Then such 75 errors will be no longer displayed / counted by this Hard Disk Sentinel installation, just possible new issues will be reported.

Generally this does not reset/clear the errors from the hard disk "internally" as the disk drive counts errors happened in its lifetime. But then only possible new problems will be reported. If this happens, it would be nice to know what may trigger it and avoid to extend the lifetime of the hard disk drive.
theoldfarter

Post by theoldfarter »

Passed Short Self Test. Passed Extended Self Test, which took 10.5 hours.
I have cleared the Error Counter and the HDD now reports the Health as 100%.

This is what it now reports: "The hard disk status is PERFECT. Problematic or weak sectors were not found and there are no spin up or data transfer errors."

Thank you for your help.

This program is very good as a few months ago, it showed the second HDD (storage) in my laptop reducing health on a weekly basis. Bad sectors were happing.
As my C:/ drive is a Samsung NVMe PCIe M.2 256GB SSD, I chose to replace the storage HDD with a Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB (SATA 6). Was able to save all date from the failing HDD.
theoldfarter

Post by theoldfarter »

What may have caused the problem, is that I use a Vero 4K media player https://osmc.tv/vero/ and I was finding that when trying to play 4K movies from this 4TB HDD, it would buffer at times.
I now use a powered hub with the Media Player and have had no more buffering issues. I think the HDD was trying to draw too much power from the Vero 4K USB 2.0 socket.
I only hook up my external HDDs to USB 3.0 sockets on my Lenovo laptop.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

> I think the HDD was trying to draw too much power from the Vero 4K USB 2.0 socket.

Yes, this is exactly the case. Insufficient power can cause lots of problems and can even damage the hard disk when used for longer time.
Yes, an external powered USB hub can help in such case, it can provide enough power for proper operation.