SSD SU800 Adata brand new - factory SMART values

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
ssdsu800

SSD SU800 Adata brand new - factory SMART values

Post by ssdsu800 »

HI,
I have bought a new SSD for storage - Adata SU800 ,2TB . When installed the HDSentinel showed me 80% health (and 1500 errors occured during data transfer) I have attached image . After updating my HDSentinel version (to5.50) it showed me 100%....and the 1500 value was found at SMART value 168. Maxim Erase Count of Spec.
Also please let me know if the values from No.164 Total Erase Count =869 (which was 868 before formatting the drive) is ok.... I thought it supposed to be the total number of erase counts possible so it should be a fixed number. (TBW=1600 and when divided by 1.9GB = 869)
Until now I haven't used the ssd, so no info copied on it and it still showed 23 hours of activity when first opened (9.Power on time count) and Life time Writes 602.06 GB....is normal ?(factory activity)
Also the data from lines NO. 12,148,149....changed after formatting and - are they ok for a new ssd ? shouldn't be close to zero? (power cycle count for ex? or no.148).

It is the second SU800 SSD I bought , from a different source, and the first one had the same issues just less errors occured -1000 instead of 1500. Had Number of valid spare blocks - 117 and this one has 34. Also the Total Erase Count was
3464 much higher than this one-869.
Why all the numbers are different for virgin SSD-s ? and please let me know if I shoud keep this this SSD based on this numbers registered by HDSentinel.

Thank you very much.
Attachments
after update HDS (2).jpg
after update HDS (2).jpg (495.27 KiB) Viewed 7965 times
after update HDS (1).jpg
after update HDS (1).jpg (747.58 KiB) Viewed 7965 times
after update HD Sentinel
after update HD Sentinel
after update HDS (0).jpg (508.21 KiB) Viewed 7965 times
before updating the HD Sentinel 80%
before updating the HD Sentinel 80%
80 percent before update HDS.jpg (475.79 KiB) Viewed 7965 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: SSD SU800 Adata brand new - factory SMART values

Post by hdsentinel »

Hi,

On the first image, I do not really see the version used but generally yes, it is completely normal and expected that an older version (generally any software released before a new, recent SSD) may not support the SSD, may not able to interpret the attributes, their proper meaning, especially if the SSD is working differently than previous models.

Manufacturers sometimes exchange the internals and it is possible that older versions which may recognise older/different SSDs properly from the same manufacturer may not know immediately what to say about a new model.

So in general: For new SSDs, you'd need to use the latest Hard Disk Sentinel version.

This may be true for hard disks too, but usually hard disk S.M.A.R.T. does not change as frequently. SSDs may report status differently based on the different flash controller chip used and released so frequently. So you'd need to use the latest version which should properly support the latest SSDs (sometimes this is the latest beta version, so for very new system / devices, it may be even better to install the latest beta, just to be sure).

Yes, as you can see, the latest version can identify the attributes, their meaning and value. This caused the different (better) health display too: as we expect, the new device should have 100% health of course.

Yes, sometimes attributes may work slightly differently than we expect...
For example, new devices may not need to have 0 power on hours, 0 lifetime writes, 0 start/stop cycles, 0 erases.
This is normal - it does not indicate any problems, just shows the signs of the final testing by the manufacturer. No need to worry about it.

> Also please let me know if the values from No.164 Total Erase Count =869
> (which was 868 before formatting the drive) is ok....

Yes, of course, it is completely normal and expected. It is NOT a fixed number: this attribute counts the total block erases happened (not a _complete_ erase). So formatting, writing, erasing etc... will slowly and surely increase this value.

The Max Erase Count of Spec attribute IS the fixed number which shows how many times the complete surface (all sectors) could be erased.

> Also the data from lines NO. 12,148,149....changed after formatting and - are they ok for a new ssd ?
> shouldn't be close to zero? (power cycle count for ex? or no.148).

Yes, they are absolutely correct.
It is completely expected that they change with usage: by saving data on the device or erasing, yes, these values should change.
No, they no need to be zero, but these values are still close to zero.

> Why all the numbers are different for virgin SSD-s ?

Very good question. I'd be curious about the official answer from the manufacturer ;)

> and please let me know if I shoud keep this this SSD based on this numbers registered by HDSentinel.

Generally as the health and the text description shows, the SSD is 100% healthy and no problems found with it.
Based on the values, the SSD is new, no need to worry about it.

However, personally I always recommend to perform some testing (even on a new disk drive), exactly to reveal any possible issues - or confirm that the disk drive is error-free and we can use it.
Please check: https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#tests
(if you worry about write testing, then at least the first 3 suggested tests).

Also any time, you can use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option. Then I can check the complete status of the SSD, verify and advise.
If you send multiple times (eg. now and then after testing or even some weeks/months of use) then it is possible to compare and verify possible change, degradation too.
ssdsu800

Post by ssdsu800 »

Hi,

Thank you very much for your time and answers. I have sent you the Short self test. Everything seems ok .
One note is that 168 Max Erase Count Spec - is 1500 was 1000 on a diffferent SSD (same model , from other store)...being a fixed number is strange that is different on multiple SSD.
And what is the maxim number possible for 164 Total Erase Count ? Now is 870 (grew with 1 after a 3G writing) . On that other new SSD bought was 3464.
I wrote to Adata and they said that the only thing that I should pay attention to is Reallocated Sectors Count.
Besides that, what other number should I watch to to see how much I have left and how much I have consumed from this SSD- resources (besides Health percentage).

Thank you
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Generally different memory chips tolerate different amount of writes. As manufacturers often change the internals, yes, some models may have different chips - and show different values in the 168 Max Erase Count Spec value.

You do not need to worry / inspect the 164 Total Erase Count at all. Yes, it counts all erase operations and will increase with writes. It is normal.

If you want to examine, I'd more recommend (in addition to bad sectors) to check the 167 Average Erase Count and/or the 165 Maximum Erase Count.
These show how many times memory cells erased/overwritten (average/max). The "worst" memory cell suffered (for example) 3 overwrite passes in your report where the Maximum Erase Count was 3.
This could be compared with the Maximum Erase Count, to check if the wearout limit reached or not yet.
ssdsu800

Post by ssdsu800 »

Hi,
Thanks again for the info.
I have copied 700Gb on the ssd and the 165Maximum Erase Count changed from initial 3 to 4 in one day.
So, based on your explanations, the wearout status of the SSD is visible by comparing the 165 value to the 168Max Erase Count of Spec -1500...as a wearout limit. (from 4 - to 1500) .

Thank you