Sharkoon DriveLink Combo USB3.0

Experiences with hard disks, SSDs, USB devices, hard disk controllers, motherboards and so.
xetal

Sharkoon DriveLink Combo USB3.0

Post by xetal »

hello,

is the Sharkoon DriveLink Combo USB3.0 ( https://en.sharkoon.com/product/1686/13760 ) known to work with HDSentinel?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Sharkoon DriveLink Combo USB3.0

Post by hdsentinel »

According the tests, by this device, we can get complete status information about SATA drives, but not with IDE drives: when IDE drives connected, the status of the disk drive is missing. It can be used (so can be tested by Hard Disk Sentinel with the Disk menu -> Surface test functions) but the status of the IDE hard disk (health, temperature) remains unknown.
There is no problem with SATA hard disk connected, then the complete status (health, temperature, self-monitoring information) detected and displayed properly.

I must tell that long time passed since I last tested such device, so it is possible that since that, newer firmware version may be offered which may improve the situation.
xetal

Post by xetal »

hello,
is there known any other similar (ide/sata buses to usb3 or at least usb2) device available on the market? ... that is compatible with hdsentinel? :)
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Personally I use NEXT 742U3Combo device: USB 3.0 to SATA and IDE docking station.

It works correctly, both the status of IDE and SATA hard disks can be detected and displayed by Hard Disk Sentinel.

Generally if you try to connect any IDE drive to any USB converter/adapter/docking station, make sure to use MASTER jumper setting.
Using slave or cable select jumper setting can cause troubles.

Please check Support -> Compatibility -> External disks, enclosures page, it shows list of devices tested by me or reported by users.
When users send information (positive or negative results), the corresponding device is added to the list.
xetal

Post by xetal »

hello ;)
there is a new version of this combo out: "DriveLink Combo USB 3.0 V2" https://en.sharkoon.com/product/27408 and according to their webpage it is based on IS611 chip.
does it have full compatibility with HDSentinel or again some shortcomings?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Very good question....
Personally I did not yet test it, so can't say for sure.
Maybe somebody else? ;)

Or I can recommend to ask Sharkoon directly. Not sure, but maybe they can confirm.

Ps. on the link you sent if you click on the Download button, you can download a firmware update for this product.
However, when started it shows "JMB2033x FW update" - which is related to JMicron chipset, not IS611 chip.... So maybe the "V2" means they replaced the chipset....
xetal

Post by xetal »

hello,

asked already from sharkoon: no answer yet.
but the firmware download file seems to be related to v1, as the binary file is dated 2013.09.17, obviosly that time IS611 chip did not existed yet ;)
what about the IS611 chip generally? is it working with HDSentinel inside other equipment?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

I ordered Sharkoon DriveLink Combo for testing in 2016 (if I remember correctly), I assume it was v1.
It _surely_ had IS611 chipset.
The Information page shows:

Vendor Information . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . : VID: 1F75, PID: 0611

and it is working exactly as I described in the first answer on this topic:

"According the tests, by this device, we can get complete status information about SATA drives, but not with IDE drives: when IDE drives connected, the status of the disk drive is missing. It can be used (so can be tested by Hard Disk Sentinel with the Disk menu -> Surface test functions) but the status of the IDE hard disk (health, temperature) remains unknown.
There is no problem with SATA hard disk connected, then the complete status (health, temperature, self-monitoring information) detected and displayed properly."

The binary file is related to a very old JMicron chipset, which used in USB 2.0 (!) converters (as it supports USB 2.0 only)
This is why I also do not really understand how it may be offered as update for a USB 3.0 device....
xetal

Post by xetal »

i got answer from sharkoon:

Hello,

the DriveLink supports the S.M.A.R.T info for SATA drives, but not for IDE storage devices.

With kind regards
Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Lars Dobczinski

so apparently nothing changed at all