98% hard disk health issue in Surface Test

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
Martin

98% hard disk health issue in Surface Test

Post by Martin »

I found a day or two ago that HDS was displaying a 98% health rating for the SAMSUNG hard disk acting as C:\ of the PC concerned.

In the past when I have found this to due to weak sectors, a Surface Test with the Disk repair (read test with sector repair) setting has resolved the issue. But not this time!

From the graphics attached showing an general details and SMART status of the drive concerned, are you able to advise what can be done to restore 100% health?

Thanks

Martin O'Shea.
Attachments
SMART status
SMART status
2.png (110.92 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
General drive details
General drive details
1.png (94.27 KiB) Viewed 2273 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: 98% hard disk health issue in Surface Test

Post by hdsentinel »

> In the past when I have found this to due to weak sectors, a Surface Test with the Disk
> repair (read test with sector repair) setting has resolved the issue. But not this time!

Yes of course, this is completely normal and expected situation: as you can see in the text description, currently Problematic or weak sectors not found.

So there is no sector damaged, no sector to be repaired - so it is completely normal and expected that the disk test does not find any error in any sector (which would need repairing).

> From the graphics attached showing an general details and SMART status of the drive concerned,
> are you able to advise what can be done to restore 100% health?

I can confirm that it is not required to restore to 100% health, because the SSD in question (it is not hard disk, but SSD, a flash-based storage).
In general, the health of SSDs slowly but constantly decrease due wearout: the memory cells can only tolerate limited number of program/erase cycles. So all writes cause wear and the decreasing health value is calculated by the SSD itself based on the current lifetime and health of the device.

This is what you can see in the text description: no problems found - and the mentioned attribute (177 Wear leveling count) determines the current health. If you check the S.M.A.R.T. page, you may notice 98 in the Value column -> this is the source of the 98% health now.

This is very common, completely normal and NOT EVIL: this way we can properly know the current health of the SSD and we can plan for possible replacement when it will be required. As your SSD works for over 900 days and 10 TB already written on it, a 2% health decrease is not bad in my personal opinion.

The wearout discussed in this forum numerous times and described with more details on:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/ssd_case_hea ... earout.php