Health and Performance 100 Smart OK Short Self-Test failed

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
aramrahgozar

Health and Performance 100 Smart OK Short Self-Test failed

Post by aramrahgozar »

Hi
Today I tried to copy my files from a Disk that windows installed on to a 4T disk (Internal Disk) but I got an error. Then I found my 4T disk disconnected from windows explorer and Disk Sentinel. after 10-15 seconds Disk connected. this Incident repeated during each copy (except 2 times). then I checked disk status and these are the results:

Health and Performance are 100%
SMART parameters didn't change (they are OK). They are the same as before.
short self-test failed.

https://postimg.cc/yJ2Vx63H

https://postimg.cc/dZjv58Hs
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Health and Performance 100 Smart OK Short Self-Test fail

Post by hdsentinel »

Hi,

If your disk drive is disconnected, then probably there is an issue with cables/connections which caused that the operation is not stable.
I'd check the cables/connections first.

As the Help describes:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/help/en/62_testfaq.html

"In some cases, these hardware tests (Disk -> Short self test, Disk -> Extended self test) are not available, not supported or they result in an error quickly even in relatively low number of problems. No further information is returned about the result, for example it is not possible to list the sector(s) which are damaged. In such case, an appropriate software testing method is required."

So you may then use the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test function in such case.

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, it is possible to check the actual status/situation and advise (better than any image).
aramrahgozar

Post by aramrahgozar »

I used SATA cable and power connector of another Disk (my 3rd disk), again I get read error in short self-test. The short test of 3rd disk was successful with that cable and power connector. I will run surface test later and send the report, but before that, I have a question. if I run Surface test and in the middle of the test my disk disconnected, does that create problem or data damage?

I notice the "manage disk feature" icon is disabled for this disk and it wasn't disabled several days ago.
aramrahgozar

Post by aramrahgozar »

Hello Sir
My problem is getting worse. Now I have 3 Current Pending Sector Count and health dropped to 98%.
I want to change the power supply because I think this is the source of the problem. My question is: Can I recover the data on these 3 sectors by Disk repair Disk>Surface test>Disk repair Or I must use additional software like recovery?
Thanks
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, this is generally not rare... Cables, connections, power supply can very frequent causes of weak sectors - and (as a result) yes, the internal self tests usually fail.

This is exactly described at Support -> Frequently Asked Questions -> What is a weak sector? How to repair weak sectors?
https://www.hdsentinel.com/hard_disk_ca ... ectors.php

page (probably suggested in the text description on the Overview page if weak/pending sectors detected).

Yes, the best way is to use Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk Repair function, designed exactly for this purpose: to repair the sectors and recover the data from the affected sectors.
If the data can't be recovered (as in some cases the sector contents can't be read back even after numerous retries) at least the sector will be repaired to make it readable again and the affected file(s) are automatically displayed. Before the repair attempt, those files are unreadable and after the Disk Repair function, they could be read again.

If the data can be recovered from the damaged sectors, the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk Repair function surely recovers that.
aramrahgozar

Post by aramrahgozar »

Hello Sir. Do you have access to a picture that shows the file(s) affected after "Disk Repair"? I want to see what it shows before I run Disk Repair. I would appreciate it.
aramrahgozar

Post by aramrahgozar »

Hello Sir, I hope you are Ok.
I changed power supply, SATA cable, and MB socket from port 1 to port 3. Then I ran Repair disk and successfully repaired 24 bad sectors and health back to 100%. It worked good for several hours but after almost 45 mins I run qBittorrent the connection cut again (This disk is stores data for qBittorrent). It was more than 30 torrents download and upload at the same time. if you remember at the first post I told you I got the error while I copied files on this disk. what do you think? problem is Motherboard or Hard disk?
Thank you
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

I'd surely try to backup and perform Disk menu -> Surface test -> Reinitialise Disk Surface test now, after the configuration changed.
Then the hard disk should be fresh, clean and work correctly: all sectors are overwritten with special patterns and verified/confirmed that working.
If you experience similar after that (or if the disk test fails, showing red blocks), then it is better to replace.
aramrahgozar

Post by aramrahgozar »

Thank you, Sir. Sure I will.

But before that, I got this problem:
One day after I repaired 3 Current Pending Sector by Disk menu -> Surface Test -> Disk Repair, I got this message:
"The drive found 3 bad sectors during its self-test" And health dropped to 97%. SMART shows 3 off-line uncorrectable sector count. Are these the previously weak sectors that repaired and now disabled because they are bad sectors or these are new bad sectors?
Although I ran Disk menu -> Surface Test -> Read again and all blocks were green and no Bad sector.

I ask this because I had 1 "current pending sector" before these 3, 2 years ago and I repaired that with another software, and I didn't get "Off-Line Uncorrectable Sector Count" for that 1. What is different here?

best Regards.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

The difference is that the hard disk determined that some of the sectors could not be restored to normal state, they need to be marked as "bad" and should be never used in the future.

Generally when a weak / pending sector found, we can (regardless of software) "ask" the hard disk to re-verify the sector stability and depending on the result the hard disk can
- restore the weak/pending sector to normal state (so the amount of weak sectors decrease and no bad sectors at all)
OR
- if the sector is physically damaged (so not reusable) then reallocate: replace with a spare sector. So then all future reads/writes (targeting the original bad sector) is redirected to the spare area, this is why the bad sector does not cause any further issue and the disk tests (regardless of software) does not show them.

This is completely independent from the software, the decision depends on the internal firmware of the hard disk drive.

Your hard disk probably had more weak sectors - from them, some are reallocated and some are restored to normal state.

This is completely normal and expected behaviour: as you can see, after the Disk Repair function of Hard Disk Sentinel, the hard disk is now stable, the read test does not show problems so ideally things are fine now. Now (as these are fixed and may be no longer displayed) you can acknowledge the 3 bad sectors to remove them from the text description and restore the health to 100%, to be notified about possible new problems only.

This is described exactly on Support -> Frequently Asked Questions -> How to repair hard disk drive? How to eliminate displayed hard disk problems?
https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq_repair_h ... _drive.php

and if you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, I can see the actual status and give step-by-step instructions.
aramrahgozar

Post by aramrahgozar »

After I got 3 weak sectors I took note of those sectors. after I got 3 Off-line uncorrectable sectors (real bad sectors) I check them and as you can see these 3 sectors' numbers converted to $ symbol. Do you think these are the bad sectors?

My weak sectors were 1216213888-903 and 1216250456-63. This picture belongs to the 1216213888 sector. I check all 24 number (3 weak sectors) and all of them are the exact this picture

https://ibb.co/v1BGFGM
aramrahgozar

Post by aramrahgozar »

Hello
I run Reinitialize disk surface and It didn't find any bad or problematic sector (All light green). Is it reasonable to that conclude these 3 off-line uncorrectable sectors are those 3 previously current pending sectors?
aramrahgozar

Post by aramrahgozar »

Hi
I had 3 off-line uncorrectable sector count, Now data shows 0 (offset 0 too) and health shows 100%. Although before this happens I got 2 current pending sectors, and I repaired them with HDS. What caused that? The only thing I did, I ran a quick format.