Disk state remains inactive

Post here if you encounter any problems or bugs with the software.
prenni

Disk state remains inactive

Post by prenni »

I finally managed to make my hard disks sleeping by disabling some apps, but now they remain inactive according to the status window.
No matter what I do.. browsing, opening files, etc.

These are my settings:

In Windows Power settings: turn off hard disk after 3 minutes.

In HD Sentinel:
Detection frequency is 1 minute.
Automatic detection of based on disk utilization: NOT checked
Do not examine space information of the following disks: CDMN (= all disks)
Do not allow spin down of disks: empty (no disks).... default was: * (all disks)

What could be the problem?

I attached a screenshot of the status window.
Attachments
Status window
Status window
Screenshot 2022-06-20 193552.png (10.49 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Disk state remains inactive

Post by hdsentinel »

Sorry, but I do not really understand. I see no bugs or problems or so, things work exactly as should.

The "Inactive (without monitoring)" displayed because the drive reports that it's sleeping: so Hard Disk Sentinel does not attempt to access it just to detect/update the status information.

If you disabled other applications and disabled the "Do not allow spin down of disks" then it is completely normal and expected behaviour that the disk drive(s) can enter to sleep mode - and this way their status not updated.

Not sure if these are external USB drives. They may have their own power management function (in addition to Windows Power Management AND in addition to the Advanced Power Management which could be adjusted in the Disk menu if the drive supports it) which can also activate.

Not really sure what do you prefer to achieve?

Do you want to _prevent_ sleep mode, so the status should be always updated/detected? Then you can re-enable the "Do not allow spin down of disks" option (eg. specify the * again)
or
Do you want to allow drive(s) to enter sleep mode? Then this is exactly what happened now: the drives reported that they are inactive and they not accessed just to detect the status (this is why they displayed as "inactive").