email sending (Server 2012)

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
VGER

email sending (Server 2012)

Post by VGER »

Hello once more,

I'm unable to have HD-Sentinel send emails from a specific system. When using the "Mail Test" button I get a popup with the following error message:

"Doesn't support AUTH or the specified SASL handlers!!" (sic)

The OS HDS is running on is "Windows Server 2012 R2". The error message sounds suspiciously like HDS is using some system component to handle the login to the mail server, but the mail server requires a newer encryption standard that the old OS can't support - like TLS version or something like that.

Is it even worth the effort of following up on the error or is my suspicion correct and there simply is no way to make mail sending work on the old OS?

Regards
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: email sending (Server 2012)

Post by hdsentinel »

Sorry for the possible troubles.

Generally I see no reason for any problems. Hard Disk Sentinel has latest authentication standards (assuming that you use the latest version) which should work with most e-mail providers.

Windows Server 2012 is not too old, still widely used. Maybe, but I do not think it can be the problem as the e-mail sending from Hard Disk Sentinel generally works even from Windows XP today.

I suggest to verify the e-mail settings / configuration and try the SSL / TLS options on the E-mail configuration page. Please verify to use the proper port too.
Please note that some e-mail providers (eg. Google / Office/Microsoft etc.) may require an application-specific password "app-password" to be used instead of the main account password.

If things still do not work, I recommend to please send a mail to info (at) hdsentinel (dot) com with some details about your mail service provider just to verify if there may be anything specifically required by them.