how about a Android-Version and SD-Cards and USB-Sticks

Any ideas, thoughts - not necessary related to Hard Disk Sentinel.
rkubbutat

how about a Android-Version and SD-Cards and USB-Sticks

Post by rkubbutat »

...as I'm in the TB-Range here as well, not knowing about the health-state of this even critical storage?

Assume DEAD while on a journey... 😳

...not to forget the ChromeBook...
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: how about a Android-Version and SD-Cards and USB-Sticks

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, I agree, would be excellent ;)

The problem is that most SD cards and USB pendrives (and internal memory of devices) do not have S.M.A.R.T. functionality at all, so they do not provide any kind of health, temperature or any other status/statistical information.
Only very few pendrives and industrial SD cards provide this level of information - plus some internal eMMC devices provide wearout details - these are supported by the Windows/Linux versions of Hard Disk Sentinel now.

Please refer to: https://www.hdsentinel.com/kb/category/12/solid-state-drives-ssds/why-the-health-of-the-pendrivememory-card-is-unknown.html

Generally to detect status, devices need to be accessed on a "lower" level, independently from the file system.
As Android would run the software in the sandbox, I suspect it is not possible to access this kind of information - even if the device would support the detection. Disk testing (complete testing/scanning/repairing of the data sectors) of such devices would be surely not possible under Android - as there is no way to access the physical disk sectors.