Storagetest.dll Locks External Drive

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
geebee

Storagetest.dll Locks External Drive

Post by geebee »

Hi,
Could storagetest.dll be prevented from locking USB external drives unrelated to the test being performed? or maybe triggering what causes the lock in the first place?
The tests run I've been running are on drives connected to a SAS HBA, but it locks USB drives connected to the motherboard's USB port.
It happens when a test is started with a USB drive plugged.

It fails to remove on the default windows' safely remove pop up, so i ended up installing usb safely remove to check what locks the drive.
https://i.imgur.com/4fzOMRz.png

System tree shows as ...\$Extend\$RmMetadata\$Txflog\...

Process explorer doesn't show any file handles open to the mountpoint of the drive, however.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: Storagetest.dll Locks External Drive

Post by hdsentinel »

Hi,

Thanks for your message and sorry for the possible troubles, but I can confirm that (of course) Storagetest.dll does NOT lock any other drive(s) during the test, just the one which is selected to be tested.

I'm afraid what you see is a false positive reported by that tool: the Storagetest.dll file does not access other drive, just the one which is selected for testing.

> Process explorer doesn't show any file handles open to the mountpoint of the drive, however.

Yes of course, because there are no open handles to the drive....

Not sure which version of Hard Disk Sentinel and which test(s) started.
If you prefer, please use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option as then I can check the actual situation. It may give some ideas, thoughts and also I'll try to reproduce to verify/confirm to be sure.