How to fix my HDD?

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
HDD_temp

How to fix my HDD?

Post by HDD_temp »

Hello,

I need some help.

A few days ago,all of a sudden my HDD started operating very slow,it opens the files very slow and it loads their icons very slow.

The health of the drive reduced from 100% to 99%.

I am getting only this error in HDSentinel for my HDD, here you are a screenshot of the error:
Data transfer error
Data transfer error
data transfer error (1).png (10.57 KiB) Viewed 851 times
I ran the Short Self-test and the Surface Test (Read) and they didn't find any issue.

I checked the disk with CHKDSK and it didn't find any issue.

I replaced the old SATA data cable with a newer one,but the issue still persisted.

I have a lot of work to do on my PC ,but I am afraid the problematic HDD would fail and I'll lose data.

BTW,I am using the drive only for storage.

Please help me.

Thank you in advance.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: How to fix my HDD?

Post by hdsentinel »

In such/similar cases please check the Support -> Frequently Asked Questions page:
https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php

For example:

https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq.php#tests
Hard disk health is low or recently changed or I just installed a new (used) hard disk. How can I perform a deep analysis?

and also

https://www.hdsentinel.com/faq_repair_hard_disk_drive.php
How to repair hard disk drive? How to eliminate displayed hard disk problems?

as these pages show that the disk test functions should be used to verify the situation: confirm if the drive is working correctly or is there any issue.
HDD_temp

Post by HDD_temp »

Thank you very much for the response.

Could you tell me which concrete test I should run when issuing from the data transfer error, please?

Or which Surface test,could solve the issue?
Last edited by HDD_temp on 2023.02.21. 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

No, I can confirm that no test will fix the data transfer error, because it is not a problem which could be fixed this way.
Data transfer errors are usually related to cables, connections or something which causes non-stable operation (eg. overclock, power supply, outdated drivers installed for the motherboard etc.)

The tests help to verify / confirm the situation: to reveal if there is any problem with the disk drive itself OR if the drive is generally working correctly.

For example, the Disk menu -> Short self test, Extended self test (as these are hardware self tests) run "inside" the disk drive. It means that if they report no errors, then the disk drive is generally working correctly, so the issue is more related to the operating environment (see above: cables, connections, power, etc.)

The Disk menu -> Surface test -> Read test performs a read scan and shows if there is any problem with any sector - plus reports the transfer speed, so you can verify if the drive is generally working slower than should.
If the tests report an error, reveal any possible further issues (which may cause that the Health goes down) then it is better to backup first - and then you can try to repair.

But when communication issues reported, I'd always check cables, connections (maybe try a different SATA cable or even a different SATA port on the motherboard) first.
HDD_temp

Post by HDD_temp »

Thank you very much!