tried some of the repair options with HDS

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
smasher88

tried some of the repair options with HDS

Post by smasher88 »

I have a old drive that had issues just want to know with all this is it even worth trying to let the stuff run, reason asking is HDS stops responding when trying to do some of the repair/surface options ?
2023-04-25_15-13-13.png
2023-04-25_15-13-13.png (16.01 KiB) Viewed 1206 times
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: tried some of the repair options with HDS

Post by hdsentinel »

I do not really see the actual Health %, but considering the problems with the hard disk in the text description, I assume it is already very low, probably 0 % ?

I'm afraid no, there is no point in trying to perform any kind of repairing on a such hard disk drive. It is already considered as BAD, failing.
Maybe you can try to stabilize things and slightly improve the usability (if really required) by the Disk menu -> Surface test -> Reinitialise Disk Surface test, but due to the high number of bad sectors (and probably the spare area is already full so no further reallocations possible) the drive will probably have lots of problems.

No, HDS *never* stops responding of course.
Hard Disk Sentinel (during any kind of testing) is waiting for the disk drive / device to respond. During repair attempts, it is completely normal and expected behaviour that the disk drive requires longer time to perform any kind of actions and during that, it is expected that any software (for example Hard Disk Sentinel) needs to wait for the drive. This does not mean it is not responding - but waiting for the device.
Depending on the severity of the issue (amount and type of problems with the disk drive itself) this may require some seconds - or can be many hours.

Generally I recommend to perform the following repair functions depending on the actual Health % of the hard disk drive:

1) Disk menu -> Surface test -> Quick Fix on 90 % Health or above
2) Disk menu -> Surface test -> Disk Repair (complete scan with repair) on Health between 50% and 90%
3) Disk menu -> Surface test -> Reinitialise Disk Surface below that (after backup as this function clears all data)

But on hard disks with very low Health (lower than 10% and especially at 0 %) we can't expect too much. May worth a try but generally a drive with 0% Health is considered as bad and should be replaced in terms of warranty (if still covered by warranty). As data can be damaged/corrupted/lost on a such drive, I'd surely not recommend to use for any storage (even if any of the above mentioned repair functions could complete).
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Sorry, I do not really understand why you posted this topic in the "Bug reports" section? I see no bugs/problems at all with Hard Disk Sentinel from what you wrote. I moved to other, more applicable section.
smasher88

Post by smasher88 »

hdsentinel wrote: 2023.04.26. 08:23 Sorry, I do not really understand why you posted this topic in the "Bug reports" section? I see no bugs/problems at all with Hard Disk Sentinel from what you wrote. I moved to other, more applicable section.
sorry about that and ya posted it cause as i said no matter what i tried to run the program would lock up and not respond at all.. and ya the health of the drive is 0% which i can see is a dead/write off for the drive..