External disk shown as healthy but cannot surface test it

How, what, where and why - when using the software.
ankheg

External disk shown as healthy but cannot surface test it

Post by ankheg »

The disk is shown as perfectly healthy but i cannot surface test it. It just does not show in the surface test window disks list. Adding screens below. The disk had a case changed - and since the change i noticed that it works slower and sometimes goes into some kind of "sleep mode" when not used for a moment (the control light on the case turns off and i need to "do something" on the disk in windows explorer to regain acces to it which also is a bit slow) Is this possible that the case has some weird controler which prevents the surface test from being avalible?

EDIT: I installed trial version of HDTune pro and surface testing is avalible there.

hdsentinel
Site Admin

Re: External disk shown as healthy but cannot surface test it

Post by hdsentinel »

When you open Disk menu -> Surface test function, Hard Disk Sentinel verifies if the drive CAN be tested safely at all.
If things are suspicious (for example the drive is not responding/working correctly) then yes, it may be missing from the list of drives to be tested.

What you wrote is a clear indication that the drive is generally not stable and not working correctly so I'm not surprised that the drive is not listed.

What you wrote suggests that the problem is not related to the hard disk drive (and Hard Disk Sentinel) but more related to insufficient power required for proper operation of the drive: the hard disk may not work properly at all, may suddenly "vanish" (turn off) from the system.
This is very common issue: 2.5" external USB hard disks may not receive enough power and can't always work properly.
Please verify the USB cable, connection: maybe try a different USB cable and/or different USB 3.0 slot to ensure proper operation, then the drive will surely displayed in the surface test window.

If you use Report menu -> Send test report to developer option, I can check the actual situation, the status of the drive and the connection / USB adapter and advise specifically.

Please note that the current Hard Disk Sentinel version is very old: it may be better to update to latest 6.10 version. The latest version can show additional details, for example a warning if the drive may not receive enough power for proper operation.

> EDIT: I installed trial version of HDTune pro and surface testing is avalible there.

This is not relevant ;) Other tools may completely ignore the above and can force the drive test, even if it can permanently damage the drive.
ankheg

Post by ankheg »

I will send the report when I am back home. I suspect the encasment is the guilty one. The problems started right away when I change it. BTW interesting thing - when I turn HD Tune on and it gets acces to the disk the disk suddenly appears in HD sentinel and i was able to start the surface test (After ignoring the prompt about impossibility to "block" the disk - I suspect due to HD tune using it. And what's more interesting - when I turn of HD tune and leave HD sentinel off it is still posible to run the surface test without the problems with blocking the disk prompt.)

EDIT - I can also borrow an actively powered USB hub for testing - I suppose if those are power problems that should fix the thing?

EDIT2 - i have sent the report
Last edited by ankheg on 2023.06.02. 15:48, edited 2 times in total.
ankheg

Post by ankheg »

I also managed to do check with active powered hub. Still not visible but the performance of the drive seems to be tiny bit better. Is it possible that the encasment is just faulty constructed and does not allow the disk to get enough power from usb? (The performance problems occured since buying the encasment and were more or less at simmilar level for last two years). I wonder if the report will be able to tell anything about it.
Last edited by ankheg on 2023.06.02. 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Yes, I'm afraid there is good chance for that.
Not all USB enclosures are compatible with all drives, this is more common with older USB adapters/enclosures especially if the enclosure originally designed to handle one specific drive type/model: after a disk replacement, things may be not working properly/safely.
If we're lucky, then we can test/diagnose/use it - but in worst case even permanent drive damage may happen.

I'd also think the USB cable itself as sometimes it is the cause of insufficient power issues. So if possible, maybe you can try with a different USB cable too, just to rule that out.
ankheg

Post by ankheg »

I will try different enclosure. So I guess the report did not show anything specific to You?
hdsentinel
Site Admin

Post by hdsentinel »

Not really. The report shows the drive, its perfect status, 100% Health and so.
I see that the USB enclosure connected via USB 3.0 slot and should generally work with USB 3.0 transfer speed, but probably not 100% compatible with the current drive. I do not see the USB enclosure manufacturer/model from the report.
Yes, I'd surely check with a different USB enclosure too, just to be sure.